Columbia Dual Ratio

• Walnut Charlie
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
18 Jan 2009 16:43 #12474 by Walnut Charlie
Replied by Walnut Charlie on topic Columbia Dual Ratio
Richard,
My wife has been after me for quite some time now to drive up and see the car again. It was restored about 20 years ago and we haven't seen it since then. I took quite a few pictures during the project. I'll look for them and bring them along.
Charlie

Charlie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rfloch
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
17 Jan 2009 16:57 #12465 by rfloch
Replied by rfloch on topic Columbia Dual Ratio
Charlie,

Good to hear from you again. I love the photos of your work phase. The Auburn is one of the most popular cars at the museum. If you get over to Sacramento on a Sunday, let me know ahead of time, I'll take you through as my guest(s) and we can talk. My docent shifts are every other Sunday.

I don't think I have your email address. I just sent you a private message with mine. Please reply so we keep get in touch.

--Richard

Richard Floch

• Walnut Charlie
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
15 Jan 2009 19:11 #12447 by Walnut Charlie
Replied by Walnut Charlie on topic Columbia Dual Ratio
Hi Richard,
Just thought I would check in and say hi. (I am the guy that restored your 34)

Charlie

• rfloch
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
13 Nov 2008 22:43 #11850 by rfloch
Replied by rfloch on topic Columbia Dual Ratio
Thanks, Curt. That help me fill in some details on the Cord era for an article I was doing on Auburns for the Docent Newsletter at the museum where I volunteer. Didn't know about Franklins and the Columbia axle but it must have been an option if the Franklin guys are looking for parts unless word has gotten around that the Auburn unit is an easy adaptation on Franklins for those who tour their cars and want to keep the revs down.

Richard Floch

More
13 Nov 2008 19:23 #11843 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Columbia Dual Ratio
Curt,

what's the going rate these days for a complete 35/36 unit?

A.J.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
13 Nov 2008 13:16 #11834 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Dual Ratio
It is my understanding that E.L. Cord did indeed own Columbia gear.
Yes two speed dual ratio rear ends were offered on Auburns from 1931- 1936. Even though the 31-33 differentials looked similar there are few parts that will interchange with the later units. Franklin did use a Columbia dual ratio in some of their cars, I know this because Franklin guys call looking for parts. The two speed that Ford used was a smaller unit and nothing but bolts and nuts will interchange.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• rfloch
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
11 Nov 2008 04:58 #11799 by rfloch
Columbia Dual Ratio was created by rfloch
Looking for a little history on the Columbia planetary differential unit. I know it was first offered on the 1932 Auburn and was available though the end of production of the Auburn. I also know a different two-speed Columbia unit was offered on the 1939-1941 Fords and Lincolns based upon Ford's banjo differential design and may have been offered as an option as early as 1934.

Was Columbia a part of the Cord empire and, like Lycoming, became an independent company after the break-up of the Cord holdings? Was the two-speed rear axle used on any other car or did it ever become a part of Ford? Does the company exist today in any form?

Any other Columbia trivia will be appreciated.

Richard Floch