• Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
22 Oct 2008 01:50 #11624 by Steve Miller
Replied by Steve Miller on topic Drain all fluids for storage
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions

ACD Club Life Member
If it ain't six volt, I'm probably not interested

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2008 15:02 #11604 by Ohio AMX
Replied by Ohio AMX on topic Drain all fluids for storage
I have stored my cars in Car Jackets for the past 10 years or so with excellent results. Before that I tried a variety of methods including plastic sheeting and even a small fan to circulate air underneath the car, but it really didn't help. A couple of times my clutch was actually rusted to the flywheel when I went to start the car in spring! I can imagine that the inside of the engine was also affected by the moisture.

After trying the Car Jacket I will never use anything else. The dessicant crystals inside keep the car completely dry, inside and out, so there is no need to oil anything down. The brake rotors don't even have any surface rust when it comes out. One other benefit is that the gas tank vents into the bag so no critters will enter (or live long if sealed inside). Also no dust, overspray or cobwebs at all. You can perfectly detail the car before sealing it up and it comes out in [i:3ihzhwpi]exactly[/i:3ihzhwpi] the same condition.

Scott Campbell
Medina, OH

More
17 Oct 2008 14:09 #11595 by sds1861
Replied by sds1861 on topic Drain all fluids for storage
Mike Huffman's recommended procedure is right on. If you follow his advice, your car will store for years and come right back to life with minimal effort.
Steve Stevens

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
17 Oct 2008 02:51 #11594 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Drain all fluids for storage
This question is one that everyone will have a different answer for. My expereance tells me that your one or two years will probably be longer. So here is what I would do. Don't drain the oil, in fact warm the motor up good and change the oil, before storing. Drain the fuel, then run the engine till it quites. Drain the cooling system. Take out each spark plug and put oil in each cyl., then crank it over 3 or 4 times without the plugs in, then reinstall the plugs. Of course remove the battery. Don't just disconect it, it might lose it's charge, freeze, break the case and when it thaws you will have battery acid everywhere. Depending on where it is stored one of your biggest problems could be rodents. Try to keep everthing sealed, interior, tail pipe, carb. cooling system. They will make nests every where. A friend of mine had nests in the cylinders. Of course the usual, wash, wax, and cover with a cover that breaths, cotten. If you are going to use plastic sheeting put it under the car to retard condensation from below. Good luck. CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

More
16 Oct 2008 23:16 #11592 by Ohio AMX
Replied by Ohio AMX on topic Drain all fluids for storage
I have stored several cars for years at a time. I would keep the fluids in but add No-Rosion to the cooling system and something like Stabil to the gas tank. Remove the battery. Since you are in Ohio I would also strongly recommend a Car Jacket to keep the car dry, unless you have heated storage.

www.carbag.com/
www.no-rosion.com/

Scott Campbell
Medina, OH

• Steve Miller
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
16 Oct 2008 17:15 #11590 by Steve Miller
Drain all fluids for storage was created by Steve Miller
I was wondering whether or not to drain the radiator, gas tank, and oil prior to storing my car for a while (1-2 years?)? Good idea or no?
Thanks

ACD Club Life Member
If it ain't six volt, I'm probably not interested