Skip to main content

1932 Speedometer

More
19 Nov 2008 17:35 #11928 by Thom
Replied by Thom on topic 1932 Speedometer
I just fixed a 1933 8101A speedometer with a frozen input shaft that the cable would not turn. The trouble was in the head, not the 2 speed transmission. After taking it all apart I found that if I had soaked the input shaft in cleaning solution, I would not have needed to take it apart. The cable turns a magnet that surrounds the return spring on the needle. The spinning magnet causes the needle to turn and the spring provides resistance returns it to zero. If the circular spring controlling the needle (similar to a windup clock escapement spring) is broken you will need to find a replacement. The numbers are controlled by direct gears. It is a very simple unit. Good luck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mike Dube
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
12 Sep 2008 00:48 #11320 by Mike Dube
1932 Speedometer was created by Mike Dube
My original 8-100A speedo gave up the ghost at something in excess of 102K on the drive back from Auburn this year. Cosmetically it is very nice, and it is still carrying the seal, so it has not been opened. I have isolated it as having to be the speedo and not a cable or dual ratio issue. Anybody try fixing one themselves? Reputable repair shop NE Ohio area?

Thanks!

Mike
8-100A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.