Skip to main content

1931 8-98a engine specs

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
10 Jul 2008 03:52 #10624 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic 1931 8-98a engine specs
I will tell you what I use personally. I have been able to find no torque values or sequence for Lycoming straight eight engines. I use 55 ft. lbs. on cast iron heads. I torque from the center of the head and radiate out in a circle from there. Start with the center bolt or nut, then do the one to the left and right of that as viewed from the drivers seat. Than go forward and do the next three in the same manner. Then go rearward from the center and do those three starting from the center each time, etc. etc. Start at a low torque and go around at least three times to get to the final torque. Then let the motor set for 24 hrs. Don't run it or fill with coolant. Then torque again. you will be surprised how much more you need to get to 55 again. I do this a third time in another 24 hrs. Then add coolant and run up to operating temp, at least 20 min. Then after complete cool down, torque again. Then drive for 50 miles or so and torque again. Continue to do this until the bolts maintain your final torque.
For piston to cyl. wall clearance I use .001 for each inch of cyl. bore.
As I stated above this is my personal view. I'm sure there are many other opinions out there you should take into consideration
The people who are experts at Lycoming engines are Fremont Automotive in Ohio.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lance
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
09 Jul 2008 13:56 #10616 by Lance
Replied by Lance on topic 8 98a engine
Greg
Thanks for the suggestion. I have the Manual for Auburn Service Mechanics.....but none of that info is in there. I will call the museum -maybe they can help. In the mean time if anyone in the group has this info PLEASE get back to me .....thanks Lance

• Greg Frownfelter
  • Registered
More
09 Jul 2008 00:59 #10609 by Greg Frownfelter
Replied by Greg Frownfelter on topic 1931 8-98a engine specs
I believe 1931 service manuals are availabe at the museum
call 260-925-1444 ask for jon bill or marcia
greg

• Lance
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
08 Jul 2008 21:43 #10608 by Lance
1931 8-98a engine specs was created by Lance
My cars at the mechanic as I write this. He has removed the head and so far has removed 4 pistons. 2 of them have broken rings. He has asked me for any engine specs that I can get my hands on . Specifically any info on tolerances that would help in ...honing the cylinders ...working with the valves ...tightening down the head-along with the bolt pattern and torque spec's...etc. Anything that's available would be a huge help. The good news is that ,so far, everything else looks to be in good shape. Thanks in advance.........
Lance