Skip to main content

Engine cranking

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
12 Mar 2008 15:28 #9663 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Cranking
I may have a unique solution to this extended-cranking problem. I'll post something on the subject later when I get more information.

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2008 15:00 #9646 by sds1861
Replied by sds1861 on topic Engine cranking
This is an interesting issue and I think is a common problem (along with vapor lock) with many makes of cars from the late 1930's when they first changed to downdraft carburation.

My 1932 Auburn (with the updraft carburetor) does not experience this cranking problem. The car does not have an electric pump and will start in a few seconds after sitting for a month or more. It never experiences vapor lock and (after warm up) re-starts in less than one revolution no matter how long or short a time it sits.

Since the engines in the later Auburns are basically identical to the 32's except for the manifold system, it makes sense to me that the fuel is percolating out of the (downdraft) carburetors after the engine is turned off due to rising heat from the exhaust manifold. This being the case, an electric pump for priming purposes (as previously suggested) appears to be the proper solution.

Steve Stevens

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
10 Mar 2008 13:14 #9644 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic engine cranking
I took my electric fuel pump off in an attempt to keep everything original on the car. Maybe this was a mistake.
On the other hand, if the float bowl is full, I don't see why it should have to crank so long. Any other suggestions?

Mark

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
09 Mar 2008 19:18 #9636 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic Hard starting
One solution is to add an electric fuel pump. Before starting it turn on the pump for a short period of time, say five or six seconds. Turn it off and then try starting it.

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
09 Mar 2008 03:44 #9627 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic Engine cranking
HELLO YES EVERYONE HAS THAT PROBLEM. RANDY EMA

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
09 Mar 2008 01:35 #9625 by ilikescars
Engine cranking was created by ilikescars
I have a 36 Auburn with a rebuilt engine and new fuel pump. When I go to start it after letting it sit for four days, it seems to take an eternity to fire up. With the carb at full choke, it takes about 30 seconds to finally fire. It runs fine after starting, by the way.
On another 8 cyl. Auburn I own, the former owner installed a small tube into the air filter for the purpose of giving the carb a shot of gas before starting.
Does the gasoline drain out of the float bowl overnight? Has anyone else had this cranking problem?

Mark