Skip to main content

8-100A Noisy speedometer

More
06 Nov 2007 14:59 #8608 by sds1861
Replied by sds1861 on topic 8-100A Noisy speedometer
Hello Mike:
I'm happy to hear that my suggestions helped. When I took my speedometer transmission apart, all the grease was caked up inside and very little was on the gears. I found that the dash lever adjustment is touchy also. It does two functions at the same time, (the rear end gear change and the speedometer transmission change), and must be adjusted where it does both jobs correctly in both directions.

If we ever get both of our cars to Auburn at the same time, we will have to park them side by side since they both are the same year and painted the same colors.
Best regards,
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mike Dube
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
23 Oct 2007 01:56 #8472 by Mike Dube
Replied by Mike Dube on topic 8-100A Noisy speedometer
Steve,

Just wanted to let you know that seemed to do the trick.

Thanks!

Mike
8-100A

• Mike Dube
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
02 Oct 2007 22:42 #8257 by Mike Dube
Replied by Mike Dube on topic 8-100A Noisy speedometer
Thanks Steve,

I will look into it and keep you posted.

Mike
8-100A

More
01 Oct 2007 01:36 #8224 by sds1861
Replied by sds1861 on topic 8-100A Noisy speedometer
Hello Mike:
I had the same issue with my car. The noise is probably in the transmission that is connected to the back of your speedometer. It works off your dash lever and changes the gear ratio to keep the speedometer accurate when the rear end ratio is changed. It's easy to take out (without removing the speedometer) and to take apart to clean and re-pack with grease. Another important thing you should check is if your dual-ratio dash lever is moving equal distances from left to right of center. If not, the speedometer transmission will not fully engage in one direction and over-engages in the other. Adjust the lever movement at the push-pull cable connection outside the firewall so that the lever travels equally in both directions. Let me know the results.
Best regards,
Steve Stevens

• Mike Dube
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
30 Sep 2007 23:14 #8220 by Mike Dube
8-100A Noisy speedometer was created by Mike Dube
My speedo is making noise, high range only, quiet in low. I have lubed the cable, but it is obviously in the speedo head. Is there a good way to lube this?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
8-100A