Electric fuel pumps

• gonewiththewind
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
22 Aug 2007 13:14 #7821 by gonewiththewind
Replied by gonewiththewind on topic Electric fuel pumps
Pat,
Do you happen to have the NAPA part number for the low pressure pump?

Bill Bickers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
22 Aug 2007 01:49 #7814 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Pumps
I have checked them also and get 2.5 to 3lbs. I guess everyone has to make there own decisions.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Pat Leahy
  • Registered
More
21 Aug 2007 18:21 #7801 by Pat Leahy
Replied by Pat Leahy on topic Electric Fuel Pump
I agree with Mike on the rotary inline fuel pump with filter. I do not agree that you use the 5-6 PSI pump on 6 volt. These pumps are made by Carter for NAPA and other chain stores. I have had experienced flooding on two engines with these pumps and found that the NAPA books states that these can be used on 6 volts and will have a decreased volume of flow. I have tested 2 of these pumps on 6 volts and they are 5-6 PSI. NAPA offers a 1.5-4 PSI pump which I am switching to now.

Pat Leahy

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
16 Aug 2007 05:34 #7752 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Fuel Pumps
Always use a rotary pump! No dia. to degrade with alcohol or whatever in fuel. You must use the filter supplied with the pump. Install it before the fuel gets to the pump. The rotary gear has very close tolerances and can't take crud.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• bill powell
  • Visitor
15 Aug 2007 11:38 #7738 by bill powell
Replied by bill powell on topic Electric fuel pumps
The EP-11 is not a rotary pump. It is a pulse pump, just like your old cam lever pump, but instead of a lever you use a solenoid to work the diaphram.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
15 Aug 2007 02:02 #7736 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Fuel Pump
I'm not familiar with the number you reference but it sounds like a rotary pump. I use a NAPA rotary pump no. P60504. Your schebler Carb. doesn't want any more than 3lb. pressure or the needle and float can't hold back the pressure and you will always be running rich. The fuel pump I use is rated 5to 6lb. pressure at 12V. I run the pump at 6V and it puts out 21/2 to 3lb. pressure. I don't use any other pump! The orig pump has the cam lever removed and only acts as a back flow valve. I have been using this set up for 18,000 miles with not one problem. I also have a pressure switch on the oil pressure line to the gauge. I wire the fuel pump through that switch so if the motor stops the fuel pump stops. I do have to jump this switch for the first start up the year to get fuel to the carb.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• bill powell
  • Visitor
15 Aug 2007 00:56 #7735 by bill powell
Replied by bill powell on topic Electric fuel pumps
The EP-11 pump will pump till the needle valve in the carburetor shuts off the fuel flow completely, and then it will stop. Also, when it is actually pumping fuel it quietens down considerably. I think the Air Tex works the same. It's just a recipercating solenoid with two check valves.

Usually when the pump is loud and won't stop, you are either out of gas or have a leak in a line somewhere on the suction side.

• gonewiththewind
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
14 Aug 2007 17:35 #7731 by gonewiththewind
Electric fuel pumps was created by gonewiththewind
Here's the question: in the past, whenever I needed an electric fuel pump as a back-up to the regular fuel pump, it had an internal pressure regulator. In other words, turn the pump on, and as soon as it had built up pressure it would either slow down or stop altogether. Recently I installed one on my L-29, but it runs wide open all the time. It is an Air Tex pump, identical to the AC EP11 pump. It is a small cylinder that actually looks like a fuel filter instead of a pump. I installed a pressure regulator at the carb to cut down on the high pressure, but the pump still runs wide open and is noisy. Is there a pump still being made with an internal regulator that will cut it off when proper pressure is reached? And if so, where can I buy one?

Bill Bickers