Skip to main content

Stromberg Carburetor

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
30 Jun 2007 00:32 #7347 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Stromberg Carburetor
Mostly no, and I don't know whether the judges score it. (Maybe they don't even know it! :-)

Someday.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Curt Schulze
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
29 Jun 2007 23:55 #7346 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic EX-32
That is an interesting tidbit of information Josh. I must assume then the Cord carbs were colored too. Do the guys that gettheir cars judged have them colored?

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
29 Jun 2007 13:34 #7341 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Stromberg Carburetor
I don't know the year of the EX32, but by the mid-1930s the pot metal of Stromberg carburetors went thru a dichromate dip before assembly. Dichromate is a sacrificial coating --- that means it destroys itself while protecting the casting underneath. So the correct color for a the unpainted portions of Cord carburetor, for example, is not raw pot metal. It's the green-gold of dichromate.

Back in the 50s and 60s we would find NOS carburetors in boxes on shelves. Removed from the box they were raw pot metal so we thought that was the correct color. On the bottom of the box was dust, that we threw away. The dust was the remains of the dichromate, which had gone on sacrificing itself in the box thru the years!

Eastwood makes a 2-part di-chromate paint kit. If you send a carb out to be rebuilt, most rebuilders can do the dichromate dip since most carbs were that color until the end of the carburetor era.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Curt Schulze
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
28 Jun 2007 10:27 #7338 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic EX-32
Mike, from the information that I have gleaned from the old timers who have been doing these carbs for many years, the EX-32's that Stromberg supplied were not colored originally. Carburetor rebuilders in times past used to color the carbs to give them some extra eye appeal
(And maybe still do). Maybe some one else Randy, Stan... can weigh in on this.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
28 Jun 2007 02:49 #7333 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Carb. color
Curt,
The Corvette guys deal with various plating colors such as this. You might try them.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Curt Schulze
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
18 Jun 2007 18:48 #7237 by Curt Schulze
Stromberg Carburetor was created by Curt Schulze
I recently purchased an EX32 carburetor. It was painted all black. When removing the black paint with lacquer thinner I noticed that there are patches of plating or dying in various protected areas. Upon disassembling the carb I discovered that it was originally colored an almost iridescent greenish yellow. Who can reproduce this color? Who do we trust with these carburetors? Is it possible that Stromberg colored various carburetors differently so they were easily recognizable IE different venturi sizes.

File Attachment:

Be of Good Cheer
Curt