Skip to main content

35-6 Auburn question

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
04 Jul 2008 12:24 #10571 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Front Fender Guard
An update, I stand corrected. I found in the Auburn acessory bullitins FRONT FENDER GUARD number 3A issued Feburary 15,1935 .

"These guards are chrome plated, consisting of four pieces varing in length to conform to the flat surface of the fender."

They listed for $2.50 No part number is given.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
16 Feb 2007 13:11 #6401 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Front Fender Trim Strips
My suggestion is to go to the museum and look at all of the pictures on the walls of 1934 - 1936 Auburns. Call Jon Bill at the museum ask for ORIGINAL factory pictures that might lend credibility one way or the other. Something that the factory printed or makes reference to front fender protectors or decorative strips. I have also seen strips on the rear fenders. We need only ONE part number or picture. Restored cars or pictures from the 40's and 50's or artist renditions do not count. Many times we can be fooled when a car has had modifications in the late 30's or 40's these items have aged right along with the car, now 40-70 years later these items appear to be very original. That being said, the fender strips are an era accessory and it is your car, restore it the way you want it.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• AuburnAutoCo
  • Visitor
16 Feb 2007 04:28 #6400 by AuburnAutoCo
Replied by AuburnAutoCo on topic 35-6 Auburn question
I know of a 654 sedan that has these... currently in restoration. Was in Auburn in "original" form in 2001. Owner will be putting them back onto the fenders when the time comes.

• Terry
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2007 22:37 #6399 by Terry
Replied by Terry on topic 35-6 Auburn question
Can anyone tell me who is right or mistaken? Does anyone have an old Western Auto Supply catalogue that might show the bars? I just checked my ACD parts / accessories catalogue from the ACD factory of 1937 and it mentions running board bars and also running board side bars, but there are no pictures to show just what the bars are. If they were a factory accessory I will put them on, I have never even seen a picture of an Auburn with these bars before. Only the car I purchased and the clips were the same as the side mouldings from the hood spears.I do have the old fenders with the holes in them.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2007 12:16 #6395 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Fender strips
I believe these were after market sold at Western Auto Supply. There is no mention of these in the Auburn Factory parts or accessory books.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2007 01:53 #6392 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic 35-6 Auburn question
Yes you could buy those from the factory for the 6cyl cars only because the door opened over the fender. Randy Ema

• Terry
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
14 Feb 2007 20:39 #6391 by Terry
35-6 Auburn question was created by Terry
I purchased a 653 many years ago and on the front fenders just in front of the running boards there were five stainless steel strips attached to the fenders that looked similar to the bars on the Duesenberg rear fenders.( I guess to protect the fender from shoe scratches) Has anyone seen these before?