Skip to main content

Designing the 2015 Auburn

• AceCollins
  • Registered
More
13 Sep 2006 01:35 #5419 by AceCollins
Replied by AceCollins on topic Go young
Kids love the retro looks. Go that route and design a car for young people and introduce them to a real classic. Give us something better than what Ford did with the new Thunderbird. I do like the Mustang though, so modernize an Auburn into something like that.

1934 Auburn 652Y Four-Door Sedan
1936 Cord 810 Westchester

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
12 Sep 2006 23:13 #5418 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic New Auburn Design study.
Dear Luis,
I'm so glad to hear of your interest in auto design. I have a daughter who has a degree in graphic design and one that studied in Spain for one year and has a degree in Spanish.
I enjoyed your web site but I don't speak Spanish so I don't know if you designed the autos shown.
I feel you should market the new Auburn to the 20 to 30 year old group. I think you should design a car that is sporty, with a very attractive price.
You should use the same technique Ford used on the 19641/2 Mustang.
As far as design goes, use some cues from the Auburn but not as retro as the New Mustang. Most people today don't even know what a Auburn is,
let alone what it looked like.
I must compliment you on your English.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• luiscamino
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
12 Sep 2006 05:01 #5416 by luiscamino
Designing the 2015 Auburn was created by luiscamino
hello everybody,

my name is luis g-camino, from spain, and studying automotive design at the academy of art university of san francisco.

for this semester we have been assigned to design a four door sedan for 2015 that would reintroduce the auburn brand. we are about 15 students for this assignment so i'm sure there will be plenty of design proposals for you to love or hate :) myself, i'm determined to do something that respects the auburn spirit and heritage, no matter the amounts of "modernity" that the project obviously needs to have.

whether the aesthetics are going to be retro (in the 2005 mustang sense of retro) based or not on a popular auburn (the boat tail?); or more futuristic (still preserving "links" to the classic look like proportions or grille details) is something i have yet to decide during the next sketching sessions, but i wanted to know your thoughts on the other, equally crucial side of the project, which is the market philosophy.

who do you think the 2015 auburn should be sold to? should it be super luxury or popular? should these buyers desire an auburn for its beauty rather than its technology, perhaps as design gains more and more importance while technology will be "a must" for every brand soon? maybe more importantly, how should the spirit of the traditional auburn brand translate into the future considering how much the world has changed?

i would really appreciate all and every single of your comments on this as well as any other thoughts you may have. i am sure we have all dreamed to see classic brands' dealerships on the streets again; how would it be to apporach that dream?

looking forward to showing you my first sketches.

thank you and best regards,

[size=75:dpoe5nj1]ps: just to let you see my previous work at the academy (don't expect much, we're only at level 2!) check out my website: www.autoblog.com.es/category/diseno/ [/size:dpoe5nj1]