Skip to main content

1929 Auburn Fuel Gauge

More
19 Apr 2023 01:36 #47109 by gnutting
Replied by gnutting on topic 1929 Auburn Fuel Gauge
KM Lifestyle (Google it) does rebuilds of King-Seeley units. They just made a new fuel sending unit for my 8-98A, and rebuilds of the instrument are also done. The King-Seeley is a very simple system in operation, the float in the tank moves air in the line to the gauge, which then moves the indicator, and it's very accurate. Was used in, among other cars, Packard, Cadillac, Ford, and Rolls-Royce, so widely adopted in its day. It is hard now to get the red fluid in a form that remains stable, the original was toxic. don't know about the green fluid, which is used for the oil level gauge.

Jack Triplett
1931 Auburn 898A speedster
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• IndycarBruce
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
30 Mar 2023 00:38 #47035 by IndycarBruce
1929 Auburn Fuel Gauge was created by IndycarBruce
My fuel gauge is apparently similar to some sort of manometer, and from what I can determine from the Internet was made by King Seeley.  The back housing is also apparently pot metal prone to breaking and it was patched with some goopy stuff back in the 50's.  Based on just a little research, it's not worth the hassle of fixing and the whole system from fuel sender to gauge looks unreliable anyway.

Has anyone done anything with modifying an electric gauge, while keeping the original bezel to give it the appearance of the original?

If not, perhaps my brother who likes to tinker with electronics can come up with an LED display that will provide the look I want.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.