35-36 Speedster Windshield frame

• AuburnNut
  • Registered
More
25 Jan 2022 15:12 #44735 by AuburnNut
Replied by AuburnNut on topic 35-36 Speedster Windshield frame
Pat
I understand re skinning the car.
If I’m in the area I will definitely contact you. I’d certainly love to see your car. It’s an incredible project and I certainly think i cod learn a lot from you
Regards j
Jerome
The following user(s) said Thank You: pfree3233

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pfree3233
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
25 Jan 2022 15:01 #44734 by pfree3233
Replied by pfree3233 on topic 35-36 Speedster Windshield frame
Hi Jerome, the gaps you are seeing at the ends will be corrected when I skin the body. There will be more wood framework in the cowl for the metal to follow. The windshield frame actually bolts to the wood (which it does currently) and the sheet metal will be sandwiched between, so it is in the correct position. As for the center point, I will probably shorten it and not bring it to the hood like on an Auburn, it will probably be peaked about 3 or 4 inches past the frame. Thanks for the compliments, it's a fun project, lots of work but it gives me something to do with the long winters we have in Michigan. Anytime, you're up this way, you're welcome to visit. Pat

• pfree3233
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
25 Jan 2022 14:49 #44732 by pfree3233
Hi Mike, I'm not totally sure I understand your comment. The angle of the frame is constant, depending where I place the frame, forward or aft on the cowl determines the location of frame with respect to the cockpit. Please send me a pm or give me a call to discuss, it maybe easier. Thanks Pat

• AuburnNut
  • Registered
More
25 Jan 2022 13:26 #44731 by AuburnNut
Great stuff Pat. I love the Duesy style steering wheel. Your car build is a huge project so I take my hat off to you for persevering. Re your windshield frame, in my case, on my Auburn Speedster replica, I spent literally days ensuring the base of the brass windshield frame perfectly matched the profile of the cowl. Perhaps you have that challenge ahead of you. Obviously your photos show the windshield frame somewhat randomly resting against the cowl and it is not affixed to the body in the correct position….hence the gaps at the end of the frame.
I can see that you will need to extend the center point end of the brass windshield frame so it extends to the point where your hood starts so some brazing and extension required, unless Duesy cars don’t match Auburn speedsters in their treatment.

Anyway, it’s a great project and you are doing a great job. What state do you live in? I’d love to see the car someday

Regards JEROME

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
25 Jan 2022 05:10 #44729 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic 35-36 Speedster Windshield frame
Check ends of windshield frame. Looks tilted back awfully far.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• pfree3233
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
25 Jan 2022 02:01 #44727 by pfree3233
I've been working on the windshield frame, thought I would share some pictures, more work needed but coming along. Pat

• pfree3233
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
25 Dec 2021 01:07 #44562 by pfree3233
Thanks Curt and Jerome, I had some success in the shop today, hopefully, some light at the end of the tunnel and not a train!

• AuburnNut
  • Registered
More
24 Dec 2021 19:39 #44559 by AuburnNut
Pat. I can confirm that my replica car also has the exact same number of separate parts as Curt has described. I believe the 3 parts of the base were cast off an original car in bronze, then polished, then chromed. The 2 side parts butt together on either side of the middle frame part but are not welded or joined. Each of the 3 parts has a number of threaded rods which screw into the base of each part which sits on top of the cowl . To fit, each of the 3 parts of the base sit on the cowl with the threaded Rod going through holes drilled into the cowl and a nut is screwed onto the protruding thread inside the cabin. The two pieces of glass are fitted with suitable window setting tape, and finally the two top channels are fitted and screwed down on top of the glass and into the frame.
If you need to see more photos of this, I can email you some. Just send me a private message . Regards JEROME

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
24 Dec 2021 19:18 #44558 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic 35-36 Speedster Windshield frame
There is a three piece gasket between the body and frame.
The lower frame consists of three pieces a left, center and right.
The upper frame consists of a left anf right channel.
All or the part numbers are in this book
Literature: Auburn Part Number List Addendum for 851,852 Supercharged Cars $30.00 Ea R 35-36 8 Supercharged Models Parts list

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• pfree3233
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
24 Dec 2021 18:23 #44557 by pfree3233
The question is irrelevant to the questions above. I'm asking how were the original speedster windshields assembled. Thanks

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
24 Dec 2021 14:55 #44555 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic 35-36 Speedster Windshield frame
Is your speedster original or a reproduction ?

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• pfree3233
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
23 Dec 2021 23:41 #44547 by pfree3233
35-36 Speedster Windshield frame was created by pfree3233
Hi, I'm currently working on installing my windshield frame from scratch, never attempted but am now and have some questions. How were the bronze castings assembled? Were the side castings butted up to the middle and joined? Welded ? to make the frame one piece than plated? Do the 3 castings stay separate? Chromed individually and then just butted up with something of a cover to go over the gap on either side? I have 3 sets of castings and with them all being rough, each better than the next, but I don't have enough knowledge on this subject. Thanks in advance for your help. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all. Pat