New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

Electric?

• Pwestphal
  • Topic Author
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
19 Jul 2020 14:46 #40548 by Pwestphal
Electric? was created by Pwestphal
I have a 36 852 SC, I’m new owner. The car came with a 8 volt battery. Question, should I replace with 6 volt? Why did prior owner put in 8 volt? Related issue, the battery drains after a period of driving. Advice please.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2020 00:54 #40553 by yorkgulch
Replied by yorkgulch on topic Electric?
The 8 volt batteries are used for easier starting and I think slightly brighter lights. Check to see if generator is charging and how many volts at cutout mounted on generator.

Auburn 851

• Pwestphal
  • Topic Author
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
20 Jul 2020 01:14 #40554 by Pwestphal
Replied by Pwestphal on topic Electric?
I measured voltage at generator, output was .20 volts. I cleaned and sanded cutout points and it was reading 7.2 volts. Simple fix. Thank you..

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
20 Jul 2020 15:18 #40561 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Electric?
7.2 Volts will not totally charge a 8V battery!
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

More
20 Jul 2020 18:44 #40562 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Electric?
8V batteries are used to mask a underlying problem. Most commonly poor starter grounding. Find your problem then install a reliable 6V battery.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Pwestphal
  • Topic Author
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
20 Jul 2020 18:57 #40563 by Pwestphal
Replied by Pwestphal on topic Electric?
Agreed. That is why I’m considering switching back to a 6 volt battery. Easier starting, brighter lights? It would seem that staying with a voltage that the car was designed for makes sense. Thoughts?

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds