Skip to main content

Success! Finally got the convertible top up and in place!

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
12 Dec 2019 04:38 #39025 by mikespeed35
I don't know about your replica but the original 35-36 Speedsters have a pot metal windshield. Beware pushing on the windshield to get the top up. I always do the front windshield mounts first and pull the rear to get it snapped.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
14 Jul 2019 22:47 #37780 by 1748 S
Looks very appropriate. The car overall has an accurate appearance too. Really like the color. Trying till you get what you want tells everyone you can find a way.

Gary Parsons

• RumRunner
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
14 Jul 2019 19:52 #37778 by RumRunner
This past March (2019) I purchased a lovely Glen Pray Auburn Speedster that was on consignment in Florida. I've been driving it quite a bit, and yesterday decided to tackle putting up the convertible top. I had tried when I first got the car, but gave up because the top just seemed a bit too small. So yesterday I decided my mission was to get the top up. Mind you, I don't ever intend to drive with it up, but knowing I could was my goal. So I pulled the car out into the bright sun and heat of summer. I have no idea the proper way to put up the top, so I started by affixing the snaps at the back of the top to the body. Then I straightened out the canvas as best as possible and succeeded in fastening the front wood beam to the windscreen on the passengers side, but no luck on the drivers side or center. So I gave the top a sponge bath of water, and continued soaking the top and pulling it for about an hour or so. I was finally able the get the driver's side fastened, but the center was giving me problems. A bolt of brilliance finally hit me, and I decided it might be easier to pull and push down from OUTSIDE the car than from inside, and one minute later the center was fastened as well. I continued to wet the top in the hot sun and let it stretch out (maybe) for about another hour, then pulled it back into my garage to cool, and then I took off the convertible top and put it away. At least I saw it installed once! Some pics below to prove it happened!

-Michael