Trickle charger

• ilikescars
  • ilikescars's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
16 May 2017 00:52 #32963 by ilikescars
Trickle charger was created by ilikescars
Something I have been working on: I built a small metal box to house a trickle charger and bolted this assembly inside the car frame. It's just behind the battery, nestled inside the X-frame member. . An oval hole there allows me to see the indicator light
on the charger. Power line snakes up just to the side of the running board and the positive and negative leads are attached to the battery terminals. I covered the wires in anti-chafe webbing so that no plastic wires are seen. Now all I have to do is plug in to an extension cord after parking the car. Also, the whole thing can be removed for judging in a matter of 10 minutes, if desired.

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2017 00:19 - 17 May 2017 00:22 #32974 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Trickle charger
Sounds like a neat idea ! Typically when I put a battery tender on one of my cars, I just raise the RH hood panel and connect the - to the startix post and the + to the ground cable from the bell housing to the frame.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt
Last edit: 17 May 2017 00:22 by Curt Schulze.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

More
22 Oct 2019 09:26 - 28 Nov 2019 13:47 #38658 by johnsmith101
Replied by johnsmith101 on topic Trickle charger
I've looked at these two so far, the Allpowers seem to have a higher watt output, but the NOCO seem to use amorphous film which would be better as we don't get alot of direct sun where I live.
As with anything you get what you pay for, so I'm wondering if any of you guys have any recommendations? Any brands to avoid, best product for the price etc 9apps apk cartoon hd
Last edit: 28 Nov 2019 13:47 by johnsmith101.

• Thomas Wilcock
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
23 Oct 2019 11:06 #38670 by Thomas Wilcock
Replied by Thomas Wilcock on topic Trickle charger
On the Antique Motorcycle Club of America forum 1 or 2 years ago one of the members had a trickle charger/battery tender connected to the battery in one of his antique motorcycles. During the night it caught on fire and he lost his garage and everything in it. The cause of the fire apparently was the trickle charger. I don't know what brand it was but I will try to find out.
Tom

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
23 Oct 2019 22:29 #38676 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Trickle charger
I never have a battery charger on a battery unless I am in the garage with it. Definitely no trickle chargers for the above reason.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• Tim Gilmartin
  • ACD Club Past President
  • ACD Club Past President
More
24 Oct 2019 15:51 #38684 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic Trickle charger
I agree with Mike. Don’t use a trickle charger unless you are present to watch it. I don’t use one.
I use Optima 6 volt batteries. I’ve heard they don’t charge well on a trickle charger.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds