New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

Cord 810/812 6 plus 6 Optima conversion

More
02 Dec 2020 05:18 #41654 by Frenchsic
Replied by Frenchsic on topic Cord 810/812 6 plus 6 Optima conversion
Purists might hang me, but having converted a couple Citroen Traction Avants to use modern Delco CS alternators with internal regulation, and a V. dropping resistor to feed the wiper motor - and lights if I didn't want to replace them all, has anyone tried that approach to get much better cranking speed which doesn't damage 6 V starters from my experience? This may sound like blasphemy, but having had a friend's elecs burned up by AAA jumping his Traction with 12 volts & frying the V reg, and the Tractions having NO fuses in their systems, I installed a Delco for him with fuses and he's been really pleased with it - better charging at low speed, far more amps for accessories, and no buzzbox regulator and extra wiring that can be done away with. Plus of course being able to be jumped by anyone with 12 volts. Just my ho - will look at this when I get back to my 812 - dropping resistors are avail. on Fleabay -
Ken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2020 23:34 #41678 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Cord 810/812 6 plus 6 Optima conversion
No offense to anyone's engineering, but I have run single Optima Batteries in 6 volt cars for eons now and without issue - you just need to be especially careful with the grounding (paint is a killer on starters, bell housings, and ....). Curt Schulze is also quick to point out that some of the riveting used in the starter end plates may best be replaced with screws as corrosion gets under rivets.

JMM

More
04 Dec 2020 01:05 #41679 by Frenchsic
Replied by Frenchsic on topic Cord 810/812 6 plus 6 Optima conversion
And I think it was George Arkelian who told me that Jim Obrien told him that it was foolish of Cord to attach the batt ground to the thin chassis metal under the floorpan - the perfect place for heavy rust to form. Instead run a ground straight to one of the starter mounting bolts where the case tab has been filed or sanded clean, then bolt the cable there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
04 Dec 2020 03:37 #41683 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Cord 810/812 6 plus 6 Optima conversion
If I can start a V16 490 cu. in. engine with a 6V lead acid bat. and ACD car should start on one. Granted it cranks slow but starts every time.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
04 Dec 2020 22:05 #41689 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Cord 810/812 6 plus 6 Optima conversion
The real problem isn't the battery ground connection it is all the connections between the ground point and the starter. If everything is cleaned up and has a good electrical connection they system works very well. For starting you need a fairly large electrical connection between the battery and the starter to get enough electricity to flow to start the car.

With the stub frame and all the sheet metal bolted to the main body there are lots of connections the electricity can or has to go thru. The problem is there is 85 years of rust and corrosion in there. The other cause is during the restoration process people forget or don't realize that the stub frame connection to the main body is also an electrical connection. It only takes about 1 ohm of resistance to have the starter turn slowly, two ohms and you can't crank over the engine. There has to be a good solid electrical connection. If the stub frame is removed, painted and reinstalled there may not be a good enough connection to start the car, it may be good enough for the lights, running the car or charging the battery.

The easy fix is running a large grounding cable (00) from the battery to the mounting bolt on the starter.

As long as the electrical system is good 6 volts is plenty to start the car and for everything to work properly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

More
06 Dec 2020 02:09 #41704 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Cord 810/812 6 plus 6 Optima conversion
Well said Jim. Thanks.

Gary Parsons

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds