Frank Lloyd Wright Crash, Wisconsin, November 13, 1933

More
27 Dec 2007 19:54 #9003 by clydester
clydester replied the topic:
Funny you mention Henry Ford. I didn't know this until recently but Wright was being considered by Ford to build him a new home. About the same time, wright took off to Europe with Mrs. Cheney. With Ford's money, that would have been quite the house!!!
Speaking of Falling Water....I've been trying to buy books on specific single Wright buildins that gives the history on that building alone. Unfortunately, most of the books on his creations try to be all inclusive and are too general. I find the individual books interesting that they give the history on ONE building and what happened to it after it's "heyday." There's one I see quite often on ebay about Falling Water by a guy named Hoffman. There's also a book regarding the Falling Water owner and Wright. I think it's called "The Prince and the Merchant." The owner regularly got hounded by Wright for money long after Falling Water was completed. Wright thought anyone should feel honored if he asked them for $$$$. What an ego!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2007 19:57 #9004 by clydester
I've regularly seen the red color that Wright liked referred to as Cherokee Red. I have a 1967 BSA Spitfire motorcycle that has original paint...red and white. The red is referred to in old BSA brochures as Cherokee Red. Coincidence???

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
27 Dec 2007 20:06 #9005 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
Toker's book comes very, very highly recommended. Big, thick read, but worth it.

Back in the pre-PC days of American history, every automaker had a red named after a tribe. Cadillac's was Seminole Red.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

More
27 Dec 2007 21:50 #9006 by clydester
Thanks for the recommendation on the Toker book. I'll keep an eye out for a copy. I'm up to about page 100 on "The Fellowship." Interesting read. Right now the verbage is stuck on the earlier life of his Olgivanna. She was a bit of a nutjob. With all the details in the book, I don't doubt there will be more mention of cars.

More
27 Dec 2007 22:53 #9008 by sunroofcord
sunroofcord replied the topic:
Thanks for posting the names of the Wright books.

We used to know a fellow who owned a Stoddard Dayton.

I recall it being BIG and White.

Believe it was a 1912.

Will have to look thru the old slides and see if I can find a picture.

Jim

More
07 Jan 2008 23:35 #9131 by clydester
I'm up to 1926 in the book and it mentions Wright had a Cadillac. No specifics on body style, color, etc.

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds