1930's Hollywood showroom

• balinwire
  • balinwire's Avatar Topic Author
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
26 Jan 2008 01:34 #9295 by balinwire
balinwire replied the topic: where the 810 Cord was first shown
Here are some pictures of the Pan Pacific building, sorry to hear it burned in 89.

http://65.254.59.194/~vstapf/vasc/ppa.htm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cph
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 May 2008 06:20 #10171 by cph
cph replied the topic: Re: RE: 1930's Hollywood Showroom

Auburn/Cord Parts wrote: Yes, the old Auburn/Fuller Dealership building is still standing at 3443 Wilshire Blvd. in LA. It is used by Atlantic Richfield Petroleum and the windows are all covered and the building is a rather drab gray. It would be nice restored as many buildings in the area are. An example is the Wiltern Theater on Wilshire and Western!

Stan

Actually, now the building is occupied by the Indonesian Consulate (3457 Wilshire). It is also surrounded by trees making it hard to see some of the detail (as well as being overshadowed by taller buildings in the area)....

• balinwire
More
22 May 2008 20:29 #10174 by balinwire
balinwire replied the topic:
This is the Fuller dealer building in Los Angeles, it had cinderblocks covering where the display glass is at in this photo.

I think the radio tower was still there on the roof.

The gray building had no markings, but it was a very distinctive building, some thing important must have gone on in there.

I thought it was on Sunset Blvd but I am told it was on Wilshire.

If you could, please get a disposable camera or digital and take a picture of the front and side views, possibley the ramp to the garage area.

Maybe there are some dealership clues on the inside? If these wall could talk! before the earthquake...........

Ron Irwin Photo from Joshs book

• cph
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 May 2008 15:13 #10246 by cph
cph replied the topic:
About this time last year, I took a couple of pictures of the building. Again, there's plenty of leafy trees blocking the much lower part of the building. But the Art Deco upper floors are still visible....

These two shots were made across the street on Wilshire.

Next time I'm out there, I'll see if I can get a shot of the ramp area (assuming it still exists and hasn't been walled off, etc.)

More
31 May 2008 16:46 #10249 by Ohio AMX
Ohio AMX replied the topic:
cph, thanks for a great update! This is the type of research we have had so much fun with in AMC land. I don't have Josh's book (yet) but I do have one called [i:2mm8rwfn]The American Car Dealership [/i:2mm8rwfn](Motorbooks, 2004) which includes a different photo of this one, from 1932, plus other ACD dealerships. All photos are attributed to the ACD Museum.

Scott Campbell
Medina, OH

• balinwire
More
01 Jun 2008 00:31 #10254 by balinwire
balinwire replied the topic:
Did the building have a southern exposure? The reason the walls were walled off was for security and shade as the glass probably let in excessive sunlight. With no air conditioning it must have been unbearable.
In your photo there appears to be a new building to the east. The palms seem to have been removed and replaced with large, quick growing shade trees.
Without the angle iron towers on the roof, the facade is a lot less imposing.
The street lamps were also changed. I guess there is a lot less flat glass breakage maintenance.
The block window fillers have been opened to 8' and filled with standard glass panes with granite siding.
An flat overhanging walkway awning was added to provide shade.
All changes very well done but the remodels erased the vintage look except a few scroll details that remain on the tops of the towers parapets,
Coppola's.
The building looks a lot like the old city hall does now. Amazing pictures, thanks.

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds