Time Magazine coverage of the 1937 Automobile Show

• Emporator
  • Emporator's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
04 Dec 2011 03:47 #21544 by Emporator
Emporator created the topic: Time Magazine coverage of the 1937 Automobile Show
I scanned these four pages from a copy of Time magazine, November 16, 1936. Quite interesting reading.

For some reason the third page is upside down. Sorry about this folks, but I can't seem to get it right.

Excellent to see A.C.D products being mentioned!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
More
04 Dec 2011 15:44 #21545 by Josh Malks
Josh Malks replied the topic:
Note that neither of the two Cords pictured has pipes.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Emporator
  • Emporator's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
05 Dec 2011 10:19 #21558 by Emporator
Emporator replied the topic:
I noticed that too Josh. Were the '37 Super-charged models not ready to show perhaps?

• Josh Malks
More
05 Dec 2011 16:06 #21559 by Josh Malks
Tsk, tsk. You gotta read the book :)

Long story, but I believe that one or both of those Cords [i:pg750g36]was[/i:pg750g36] supercharged, but that external exhausts first appeared at the Chicago show a bit later. No pipes in NY. If anyone has a photo or document that says otherwise, I sure would like to see it.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

More
08 Dec 2011 23:03 #21581 by streamliner
streamliner replied the topic:
So here's Alex Tremulis' account of the 1937 New York Auto Show. Maybe the cars weren't ready for the pre-show press photos???

From SIA, Tremulis on Tremulis:

About ten days before the 1937 New York auto show, I showed Roy Faulkner, the president of the company a drawing of what the new super-charged Cord would look like. We had no money in those days, so Roy looked at the drawing, said, ?It?s beautiful,? and then left for the New York auto show to apologize for showing virtually the same car as he had shown in 1936.

After he left I hurried in to Augie Duesenberg?s experimental shop and said, ?Why don?t we shake the earth a little bit, why don?t we really shock them at the auto show. We?ve got ten days to build two cars. In ten days we should be able to put pipes on the outside?? Engineering balked at the idea. The main excuse they gave was that the supercharger would be noisy. I told them there was nothing wrong with a super-charger being noisy. ?It should not only be seen,? I told them, ?It should be heard.? So with some frantic work and maneuvering we got the cars finished, but not in time to ship them to the New York Auto Show by train. That would have taken three days, so we drove them in and it took only 14 hours.

They were pretty dirty. We had to wash them. Then they weren?t going to let us in with the Cords because we were late. After we got that matter settled, we waited for the first reaction.

The first person to walk up to the car was a magnificent looking lady. Her loud first reaction was, ?My God, what are those horrible chrome entrails doing on such a beautiful automobile?? I thought, oh boy! This is the death rattle for me because I hadn?t even shown the car to Mr. Faulkner or Mr. E.L. Cord. What a first reaction. Later the crowd heard about the car and ours became the most popular booth.

All of a sudden Roy Faulkner came over with an opera singer by the name of Richard Bonelli. That?s when Faulkner saw the two Cords for the first time. He said, ?How did you do it, how did this ever happen Alex?" And Richard Bonelli took one look at the car and got out his checkbook. ?I?ve got to have this automobile right away,? he said. Roy Faulkner told him, ?We haven?t even built the car yet, we have no idea what it will cost.?

Then E. L.Cord came to look at the Cord. He said, ?My name happens to be on that car, how come I didn?t know about this?? I told him there wasn?t time. And I added, ?I just figured I could do no wrong because you never objected to the ?Wrath of Gods? pouring out the sides of the Duesenbergs, so how could I go wrong with the two pipes on the sides here??

Well, the car turned out to be sensational; we set records in sales, the highest record in sales in its history at the ten day automobile show. We must have sold 35 to 40 cars. Richard Bonelli kissed me on both cheeks, and invited me to my first opera. He really made me feel important when he had me sit in the wings. He thought I was a genius... here I was only 23 years old.

And I?ll never forget that I had to go to a dinner with all the chief stylists... the great Harley Earl from General Motors was there. And there I was from this poor little company. What we did was considered quite an achievement.

Visit Alex Tremulis' Gyronaut Restoration and History Pages
World's Fastest Motorcycle from 1966 to 1970
www.gyronautx1.com

• Josh Malks
More
09 Dec 2011 01:01 #21588 by Josh Malks
Wasn't Alex a wonderful storyteller?

Back in the 1950s Gordon Buehrig was working for Ford. A fellow stylist, Tucker Madawick, told me this story which he heard from others. Seems a new young stylist had recently met Alex Tremulis. He was telling his tablemates in the company lunchroom how awed he was by Alex's wonderful tales. He has such a great memory, gushed the young man. "Alex does have a wonderful memory", Gordon offered. "He even remembers things that didn't happen".

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds