From the camera of Alex Tremulis...

More
15 Apr 2011 23:36 #19817 by cstebbins
cstebbins replied the topic:
One of the better looking LSR cars especially with those nice stock L29 rollers but would you be willing to drive it over 200 on those? 300 with the aircraft engine? Restore it to street legal. Will look good on the road with 6 wipers, stock tail lamps and wood lights behind the grille.

This certifies that this Cord automobile has been driven 110.8 miles per hour before delivery - Ab Jenkins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2011 03:23 #19819 by alsancle
alsancle replied the topic:
As we surmised and Randy verified, this a car that was never intended to go faster then 60 mph. I think it is one of the better looking LSR bodies because it was intended to look cool for the movie. I like it a lot and am happy to hear it is still with us.

More
19 Apr 2011 01:09 #19843 by cstebbins
cstebbins replied the topic:
Would be curious to know who owned & who planted the story with Popular Science magazine in the Sept. 1941 issue. (link in DJT's post); Lots of plans changed that Fall.

This certifies that this Cord automobile has been driven 110.8 miles per hour before delivery - Ab Jenkins

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
22 May 2011 02:35 #20118 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
Received the following today from former member John A. Williamson:

[i:3d6cda8o]I have had 3 Cords 2 810's and one 812, during the 70's and 80's I tried to trade one of my 810's for this L29 Cord to a retired Cowboy Movie Actor, the car in the late 70's was a fixture on California state hwy 14 at Solidad Canyon off ramp in Acton and was used to draw customers to the retired actors Chili and beer bar. As odd as it seems I just went back to that location in May 2011 and asked the current owner of the property where the L29 Cord with the movie body went and he told me that a man bought it and had it at an airport and was restoring it. I don't know, but it may be worth a drive to see?

In the 70's I sent a drawing I made of the car into the ACD News letter and I made that drawing standing and looking at the car, the newsletter did publish the drawing.

So as of May 2011 the car is said to be at an airport in California. It's good to see these Alex Tremulus picts at the same site.

Oh! the Cowboy wouldn't trade me for the 1936 Cord 810 back in the 70's he said It wouldn't draw as many people to his bar as the Aluminum bodied L29.[/i:3d6cda8o]

I advised him that according to Randy Ema the car was in Arizona now. Mr. Williamson mentioned specifically the car's (former?) airport location in California, which I edited for privacy reasons.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• streamliner
  • streamliner's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
26 Jul 2012 03:28 #23208 by streamliner
streamliner replied the topic:
Found a few more. Here's Alex and Gertrude Duesenberg, 1962.

Any info on the car?

Visit Alex Tremulis' Gyronaut Restoration and History Pages
World's Fastest Motorcycle from 1966 to 1970
www.gyronautx1.com

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
26 Jul 2012 03:57 #23209 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
Bohman & Schwartz Convertible Coupe J-572 / 2596, owned at the time by longtime Club member Jerry Gebby.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds