The 'Castle' 1921 Duesenberg Straight 8 Model A (Model J par

• Bob Roller
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
22 Jan 2014 15:52 #26726 by Bob Roller
Bob Roller replied the topic: Early Duesenberg
I have always liked the cycle fenders on some of these cars. If I had more money that organized crime and religion,I'd buy a "J" and restyle it to incorporate these fenders.
What was the CID of these old engines anyway.I don't think any of them were even 300 CID.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2014 21:39 #26736 by Mike Dube
Mike Dube replied the topic: Dues A displacement
Nowhere near 300 cid, more like 260.

Mike
8-100A

• Bob Roller
More
24 Jan 2014 03:40 #26739 by Bob Roller
Bob Roller replied the topic: Small displacement engines
Years ago,about 57 of them,a close friend had a pristine 1941 Nash 600
with a straight eight engine and an overdrive transmission.This engine was about 260 CID and had the valves in the head,sixteen spark plugs and nine main bearings and held about ten quarts of oil.I considered it a superior car to the 1937 Cadillac V12,Series 85 sedan I owned at that time.
The Nash was smooth running and with the overdrive engaged could get twenty miles per gallon on the road. Not bad for a car some considered as inferior.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

More
24 Jan 2014 13:44 #26740 by landmark
landmark replied the topic: Re: Early Duesenberg

Bob Roller wrote: I have always liked the cycle fenders on some of these cars. If I had more money that organized crime and religion,I'd buy a "J" and restyle it to incorporate these fenders.
What was the CID of these old engines anyway.I don't think any of them were even 300 CID.

Bob Roller

Hello Bob,

like Mike said before the CID would be 260 cui.

If I remember it right, the engine has a two valve, (single) overhead-camshaft-head with spherical combusting chambers. The camshaft is driven by a vertical driveshaft (with bevel gears) a so called "K?nigswelle".
Single updraft carb (1.5' ?), three main bearing crankshaft, compression ratio 5:1 and the power output was rated at 88 hp at 3600 rpm. (source: automobile quarterly Vol 30. No. 4)

Cheers

Matt

Was man besonders gerne tut,
ist selten ganz besonders gut

Wilhelm Busch

More
24 Jan 2014 14:22 #26741 by Mike Dube
Mike Dube replied the topic: Re: Small displacement engines

Bob Roller wrote: Years ago,about 57 of them,a close friend had a pristine 1941 Nash 600
with a straight eight engine and an overdrive transmission.This engine was about 260 CID and had the valves in the head,sixteen spark plugs and nine main bearings and held about ten quarts of oil.I considered it a superior car to the 1937 Cadillac V12,Series 85 sedan I owned at that time.
The Nash was smooth running and with the overdrive engaged could get twenty miles per gallon on the road. Not bad for a car some considered as inferior.

Bob Roller

I'm with you Bob,

In my experience, folks who appreciate engineering agree: that dual ignition ohv Nash was one heck of an engine.

Mike
8-100A

• Bob Roller
More
24 Jan 2014 16:39 #26742 by Bob Roller
Bob Roller replied the topic: fine engines
To me the 9 mainbearings of the Nash were a much better idea than that spindly crank with 3 mains that the early Duesenbergs used. The big 9 main bearing Packards I always thought were a better idea than the 5 mains of the "J".
Matt.
Ein koenigswelle oder nockenwelle ohne zundkette aber mit triebwerk.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.056 seconds