Cord 810/812 front spring mounting

• stroker
  • stroker's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
07 Jan 2005 22:22 #2673 by stroker
stroker created the topic: Cord 810/812 front spring mounting
I am restoring 2241H , a '36 810 Phaeton. The front spring seems wrong in that there's two long spring leaves each with the large mount holes at the ends. Is this right- two long leaves? Also, the frame recess into which the spring fits was cracked, so I had the cracks "V" ground and welded and finished, and created a 1/8" thick plate 12'' x 2" with a 1/2" hole in the middle to dissipate the loading on the frame recess. I also added a 6 degree spring wedge at the outmost ends of the 12" plate to bolster the spring support and improve the car's stance. I hate to see Cords "down in the front" due to weak springs.

I wonder if this modification will have any adverse affects on the caster/camber of the front wheels. The frame is still out of the car so I can modify/change this rather easily now.

On another point, I have a box full of the doughnut cups, some of which have a raised center flange, and some don't. Any info as to which doughnut cup fits to the spring hole and which fits the suspension arm?
Thanks for any help!

Pete Rhoads

pete rhoads, restoring 810 phaeton 2241 H

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2005 23:00 #2674 by gdwow
gdwow replied the topic:
Hi Al Hatch will be with you shortly on this Tom

• cbs
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Jan 2005 15:04 #2680 by cbs
cbs replied the topic:
I counted 7 leaves (5 are shorter than the 2 you already have) and 4 of the 5 shorts have chamfered ends. The front ride height is adjustable using the big nut that supports the car at each end of the big leaves. Try Stan. If you've already added a 1/8" spacer use one less leaf but wait to see what the experts say first. Don't forget to get the 2 leaf clamps added 6" inboard of the long ends where the short ends start.

More
09 Jan 2005 16:57 #2681 by gdwow
gdwow replied the topic:
Hi,
Al hasn't responded so I will.
Yes two long leaf springs both have holes in ends for bolts. Cracked frame at this area is normal. Your repair sounds good.
Haven't heard of anyone adding spring wedges. Maybe the two main leaves where the holes go through need replacing. They should have a arc to them rather than completely flat with the all weight on the car.
You see Cords down in the front because they handle better. I was told between 11 and 12 inches from center of bumper bolt that goes through to the body down to the ground.
You should have a total of 14 leaves. That's what mine has. I am pretty sure that is correct.
You may have to have the weight on the stub frame to get the long bolts through the springs to get the nuts started.
The raised flanges on the cups go into springs and at swing arm to keep bolts centered without slipping from side to side.
Hope this will help you.
CORDially,

Tom Dudley
P.S. Maybe Stan has some more help.

• cbs
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Jan 2005 17:06 #2683 by cbs
cbs replied the topic:
14? Now we both need help! Anybody out there who's got another count or can run over to the garage? :rolleyes:

More
10 Jan 2005 00:46 #2684 by e merancy
e merancy replied the topic:
For what its worth the Tom Dudly description matches my front spring exactly including the 14 leaves. Ed M.

e.merancy email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds