More
03 Jul 2019 16:55 #37664 by wcoye
Replied by wcoye on topic Gas pressure
Looks like the way to go. Many thanx!

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
03 Jul 2019 20:50 #37667 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Gas pressure
Bill are you running with just the mechanical pump or do you have an electric pump as well?
The electric pumps are supplied in two types, either low pressure or high pressure.
Obviously low pressure is the way to go. I use mine for priming the engine and on steep hills at speed when the engine starts to run a bit erratically. It will be very interesting to see how she performs after the complete rebuild.

T cockerell

• George van Nostrand
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
04 Jul 2019 00:01 #37669 by George van Nostrand
Replied by George van Nostrand on topic Gas pressure
It has been my experience that carburetor flooding in old cars is caused by iron oxide (rust) coming from a rusty gas tank. These rust particles can penetrate many gas filters . They tend to keep the float needle open causing flooding.If you open your carb and find what looks like fine sand in the float bowl, you can pick it up with a magnet. The answer is to recondition or replace the tank. George.

Restoring 1936 Cord Westchester sedan.2023 A
The following user(s) said Thank You: wcoye

More
04 Jul 2019 01:30 #37670 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Gas pressure
Thanks Goerge for the great tip. My tank has been cleaned out by a shop Randy Ema suggested. They did a great job too. My tank had a bad gas leak at the fill tube area where it connects to the tank. The flange design was horrible. You can't secure it around about 40% of the flange due to the design. So somebody before me soldiered the flange to the tank leaving the screws still in the flange. It still leaked badly because they did a por job og soldier. Getting those screws that were covered in soldier removed was pure hell. I did a writeup on how I used 2 gallons of water and three lbs of dry ice to create a carbon dioxide blanket in the tank to keep it from exploding when I used my torch to remove all the fittings. The suction line I found was soldiered to the bottom drain plug flange too. I have no idea how that was done because of the baffles and tanks design. I plan now to cad plate the inside and outside of my tank. Then re install the fittings.

Gary Parsons

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
04 Jul 2019 03:53 - 04 Jul 2019 03:54 #37671 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Gas pressure
I notice it says max inlet pres. 7 psi. You might check Summit Racing for better price.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman
Last edit: 04 Jul 2019 03:54 by mikespeed35.

More
04 Jul 2019 11:50 #37672 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Gas pressure
I am unsure about Cords, but all 34-36 Auburns were soldered over the sheet metal screws where the flange meets the tank. I have a few of 2-4 lbs. new Airtex pumps for sale.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds