Side plate pictures and interior info.

• Jonathan Richards
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
24 Dec 2017 04:11 #33927 by Jonathan Richards
Jonathan Richards replied the topic: Side plate pictures and interior info.
Mr. Mustonen : The attachment of the front fenders to the front sheet metal and frame is a pretty complex group of fitments, Yes the fender bolts to the lower hood side panel but of equal importance is the fender brace which goes outward from the sub-frame to the lower mid section of the fender at what is often referred to as the "pontoon" . at the front of the fender the large bolt which attaches the front bumper face bar and brackets to the frame holds the fender as well. I highly recommend you acquire Josh Malk's book "Cord 810/812 / The Timeless Classic which has multiple illustrations to aid your understanding of the construction. There is also a heave arched brace at the mid point of the front wheel opening which attaches to the outer frane rail. We all want to help you so keep asking questions. There are no dumb questions. Merry Christmas . Jack Richards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
24 Dec 2017 05:30 #33928 by Terry Cockerell
Terry Cockerell replied the topic: Side plate pictures and interior info.
Thomas, Allan McCrary did not say the inside of the panels were sprayed with bituminous material but only the outside and below the fender. Looking at your cleaned up panel it appears that only the inside of the front fenders were sprayed with the bituminous material. Possibly it depended upon who was working on the line at the time as in the Engineering Change Notices it says all of the underside of the fenders were sprayed at final assembly.

T cockerell

More
24 Dec 2017 10:57 #33930 by Thomas Wilcock
Thomas Wilcock replied the topic: Side plate pictures and interior info.
Jonathon: I cleaned the outside of the panel and found the bottom section below the fender had only 1 coat of paint which was black. There was no primer below it so it could be original. There was also no evidence of the soundproofing material on it. There was gray visible as the first coat only on the top horizontal edge. When sanding through the green paint on the side above the fender line I came to a dark blue and then black, also with no primer beneath. There was no evidence of gray on the outside. Perhaps the outside was stripped before it was repainted in the past, but why then was the top edge not done. I wish I had the answer. I hope this is not confusing the issue.

• Peter Mustonen
  • Peter Mustonen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
24 Dec 2017 12:56 #33932 by Peter Mustonen
Peter Mustonen replied the topic: Side plate pictures and interior info.
We have to bera in mind that fcatory must have made whole bunch of replacement fenders too. Threy might be different in coating.

• Peter Mustonen
  • Peter Mustonen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
24 Dec 2017 13:02 #33933 by Peter Mustonen
Peter Mustonen replied the topic: Side plate pictures and interior info.
Thank you Jonathan. Yes im slowly prepairing information and have ordered the book. I will not do the renovation my self but only research and decicions. Next project is also trying to finds pair of tailights.
R. Peter

More
24 Dec 2017 13:38 #33934 by Thomas Wilcock
Thomas Wilcock replied the topic: Side plate pictures and interior info.
I cleaned part of the other side panel and sanded some of the paint. Here are pictures of what I have found. Under most of the black lower outer portions of the panels I did find gray under the black. Some areas did show a red primer under the gray. The portions above the fenders did not show any gray under the black. It had probably been stripped at some point.
Attachments:

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.583 seconds