Painting Fender Welting Body Colour

More
10 Dec 2016 17:23 - 10 Dec 2016 17:26 #32006 by johnmereness
johnmereness replied the topic: Painting Fender Welting Body Colour
I usually buy the Welt from Bob Drake Ford Reproductions and we add a flex agent to the paint - lots of 100 point cars going strong still via such. They also make a nice grey that could work as is - just bought two roles of light grey for a project. The colors do not have quite the same grain as the black (black is the most authentic construction), but still have been very happy (and black is a little more time consuming to paint via colors is much easier).

JMM
Last Edit: 10 Dec 2016 17:26 by johnmereness.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2016 23:22 #32010 by Tom_Parkinson
Tom_Parkinson replied the topic: Painting Fender Welting Body Colour
Hi,
What I could find on the Bob Drake site appears to be 3/16" welting. The 810/812 Cord has 5/16" welting.
You can make the 5/16" welt with 1/4" piping rope: adding the thickness of a tight-weave fabric like denim will give you 5/16".
--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: http://mbcurl.me/YCSE

• Terry Cockerell
  • Terry Cockerell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
11 Dec 2016 07:44 #32014 by Terry Cockerell
Terry Cockerell replied the topic: Painting Fender Welting Body Colour
Thanks for all of your comments. A friend in Canada advises me of the following.
1. Wash the plastic welting with Wash Reducer.
2. Spray adhesion primer on the plastic welting.
3. Paint the welting with body colour.
I will discuss the choices with my spray painter.
Thanks,
Terry

T cockerell

More
11 Dec 2016 17:47 - 11 Dec 2016 17:49 #32017 by johnmereness
johnmereness replied the topic: Painting Fender Welting Body Colour
You can get 1/4 inch via restoration specialties and supplies 118 of their catalog. The problem you will get when making your own is that it is very hard to get materials prepped in a way to prevent wrinkles and bunching (usually you would cut on the bias if doing it yourself). I do not mind painting the black welting - I actually prefer the grain, but I prefer a matching/close color to start with. Or you could try such as www.lebaronbonney.com/cart/products.php?Cc=FEN4 . I did a quick Google search using fender welt (as well as fender welting) and the diameter.

JMM
Last Edit: 11 Dec 2016 17:49 by johnmereness.

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds