New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

Cord 812 Custom Beverly restoration story

More
02 Jun 2019 16:35 #37364 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Cord 812 Custom Beverly restoration story
Do you think the engine will run cooler with a 160 or a 153 thermostat ?

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2019 17:35 - 15 Jun 2019 17:38 #37466 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Cord 812 Custom Beverly restoration story
I would adapt in a modern thermostat(s) - something 180 degrees or cooler. I would drill a hole in the thermostat (near edge of thermostat housing verse in thermostat door) to allow some water circulation when thermostat is closed - this also eliminates air pockets (something old timers told me to always do). The purpose of the cooler thermostat is to eliminate the car heating up so quickly (but to answer Curt's question the car will run at whatever it is going to - depends on how close to original bore is, quality of engine rebuild, radiator quality, timing/tuning, and ...). Thermostats also are used as flow restrictors - the water has to remain in the radiator for a certain period of time for it to cool - water moving through radiator too quickly will not cool properly (thus when you remove a thermostat you may actually have a hotter running car).

JMM
Last edit: 15 Jun 2019 17:38 by johnmereness.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
16 Jun 2019 04:04 #37476 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Cord 812 Custom Beverly restoration story
160 stat with water and corrosion inhibitor.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• RubyDS
  • RubyDS's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
18 Jun 2019 16:16 #37529 by RubyDS
Replied by RubyDS on topic Cord 812 Custom Beverly restoration story
Only water is not a good idea for winter ,a few years ago i have crack an engine in winter with water

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
19 Jun 2019 02:20 #37534 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Cord 812 Custom Beverly restoration story
Right Ruby, This is just for summer and it depends on the climate of the user of course.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• Terry Cockerell
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
19 Jun 2019 10:30 - 19 Jun 2019 10:32 #37538 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Cord 812 Custom Beverly restoration story
When my Cord arrived in Australia in 2007 it did not have thermostats fitted. The car was not driveable and needed a lot of work.
I opted to stop the coolant flow through the inlet manifold and used modern thermostats that opened at 160 deg F
I needed to drill a bleed hole in them and actually drilled two in each as the thermostat throats were smaller than the original type. This worked quite well in the car in conjunction with a shroud.
Recently I found a better design of thermostat with a much bigger throat, these are called full flow design. These were not available in the size I wanted in the past. They have a built in bleed hole and due to the larger throat diameter should work a lot better. I will find out later in the year when the car is back on the road.
The new full flow thermostat is made by Tridon in Australia Part No TT268 - 160
The cost is $41.oo Aust each.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Jun 2019 10:32 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding pictures

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds