Re-assembling Cord 1509 A Westchester

More
01 Oct 2015 21:10 #30358 by 1748 S
1748 S replied the topic: Re: Re-assembling Cord 1509 A Westchester
Tom does the backing plates bolt to the knuckles like any other backing plate? If so maybe you can "clock them" to another bolt hole location. Maybe you have the right side installed on the left side. My brakes are the 1937 Bendix but they still bolt on to the knuckles.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2015 22:35 #30359 by Tom Georgeson
Tom Georgeson replied the topic: Re: Re-assembling Cord 1509 A Westchester
I don't have a set of Wagner backing plates handy but Bendix have a part number on the back of them and with a letter at the end of the number. The letter is either a L(left) or R(right). Let me know what you find out as I'm curious.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Tom_Parkinson's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
02 Oct 2015 01:11 #30360 by Tom_Parkinson
Tom_Parkinson replied the topic: Re: Re-assembling Cord 1509 A Westchester
Hi Gary and Tom,

The plates do bolt to the knuckles, but the mounting is a rectangular pattern at an angle to vertical. I switched them L for R, and while that improved the angle, it also sent the wheel cylinders facing the wrong way: the large end of the step cylinders toward the rear and the hose inlets to the front. I believe that on the Wagner-Lockheed system the longer shoe and the large end of the wheel cylinder are at the front. (On the Bendix system, the small shoe does to the front.)

Here is a pic of a pair of Wagner backing plates that were for sale on Ebay a while back.

I have not found and stamping or marking indicating "Left" or "Right" on the plates.

Can someone with a '36 take a look on their car and tell me if their wheel cylinders are somehow located at 12:00 and the anchor pin at 6:00?

Thank you,

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: http://mbcurl.me/YCSE

More
02 Oct 2015 03:27 #30361 by 1748 S
So is there a chance the actual knuckles are on the wrong side and the backing plates are also on the wrong side. I have never seen this before and know nothing about the correct placement of this. Just guessing and that I'm good at.. Gary

More
05 Oct 2015 23:49 #30380 by 1748 S
I also found some backing plates with the brakes installed. Might help you figure this out. Now I can't tell you these are marked or assembled correctly but pictures may help.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cord-1936-810-8 ... 43&vxp=mtr

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Tom_Parkinson's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
06 Oct 2015 12:13 #30386 by Tom_Parkinson
Tom_Parkinson replied the topic: Re: Re-assembling Cord 1509 A Westchester
Hi Gary,

Thank you for the link. I saw these on Ebay. They sure look like mine. However, the pix don't tell how they end up oriented when mounted.

I have concluded that there is only one way that these things will go on with the cylinders facing the correct way: to the front. I'll leave them be and hope that the weight of all of the accoutrements will level them out.

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: http://mbcurl.me/YCSE

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds