New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

Startix needs repair.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
More
11 Nov 2009 04:45 #14975 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Startix needs repair.
Mike's "hill holder" works well on an 810 too. Except you do it leaning over so you can hold and squeeze the brake handle while using two feet on the gas and clutch.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Aris Loumidis
  • Aris Loumidis's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
11 Nov 2009 12:33 #14977 by Aris Loumidis
Replied by Aris Loumidis on topic Startix needs repair.
If I manage to get mine working, I will stay with it as long as I can; I read in another post about the pleasure of having and demonstrating one more 1930's 'extra' our cars have.
Anyway, with the manual button and some manipulation on the cables, I can start and run the car.
I'm trying to locate if the trouble lies outside the unit itself, so can anyone tell me what should the voltage be on the GEN terminal when in idle?

Aris Loumidis
Athens, Greece
ACD Life Member

More
11 Nov 2009 13:32 #14979 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic Startix needs repair.
Thats right, now I remember, 40 years has dimmed my memory except for the fright, there was no parking brake lever bolted to the trans, a Studebaker overdrive swap was in the in the car and the hillholder was disabled.
It still justified my joy on seeing the Cord Startix that in reality is a remote selonid that was generator switched. I can see where it would have been a wanted accessory in 1935 along with fingertip gearshifting.

• Josh Malks
More
11 Nov 2009 17:02 #14983 by Josh Malks
Aris, do you have all the Eclipse (Bendix) bulletins on Startix operation and maintenance? I can fax them to you if you don't.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

More
11 Nov 2009 19:50 #14984 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic Startix needs repair.
Hi Aris, maybe these will help, maybe the genernator puts out more output at idle than the original field coil generator, small adjustment, stepdown resistor?

• Josh Malks
More
11 Nov 2009 20:33 #14985 by Josh Malks
I don't want anyone to think that I don't love Startixes. I have two NOS ones on my shelf -- one 6v and one 12v. I think that their use of totally computerless technology to do their job is highly praiseworthy and I enjoy following the path taken by the current as the several solenoids open and close.

I described what I do only because I don't want anyone who wants to drive his/her Cord to not do so for want of a working Startix. Or, heaven forbid, replace Startix with an old Ford starter solenoid as some of us have seen many times over the years.

CORDially,

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds