New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

Yet Another With Transmission Problems

• Fjderosier
  • Topic Author
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
16 Jan 2021 18:53 #41949 by Fjderosier
Replied by Fjderosier on topic Yet Another With Transmission Problems
Thank you, Jack. The help is very much appreciated. I will call Peter at the number indicated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Fjderosier
  • Topic Author
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
16 Jan 2021 19:07 - 16 Jan 2021 19:08 #41950 by Fjderosier
Work and life and another automotive toy has kept me quite busy recently, but I have now also replaced the lower transmission harness (plug to trans) and confirmed all the connections from the plug to the terminals are functional. The car shifts very smoothly into and out of all gears except 4th. No motion laterally from neutral. The yellow wire does not seem to have power but the red/green tracer seems to now have current. On a different note, the defective (original) fuel sender was sent out to KM Lifestyle in Auburn, MA and nicely rebuilt - float was leaky, the resistor broken, and the bushing holding the float arm seized (which in turn was why the resistor broke). Great service and under a week turn-around!
Last edit: 16 Jan 2021 19:08 by Fjderosier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
16 Jan 2021 22:30 #41951 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Yet Another With Transmission Problems
Hi Fred,
Regarding not having 4th gear. It sounds like there is a break in the yellow wire somewhere between the switch in the column and the solenoid bank. The pencil in the shift selector should make contact with the yellow wire and the red/green wire at the same time so if one is hot, the other should be hot. You might want to check the plug connection since that is the last thing you messed with.
Jim

More
23 Jan 2021 13:37 #41989 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Yet Another With Transmission Problems
Transmission problem thread seems like a great place to thank Jim for his wonderful multipart article on the subject in the last few newsletters. Just indispensable information to the 810/812 owner.

Thanks Jim!!!!!

• JIM.OBRIEN
More
24 Jan 2021 23:06 #42005 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Yet Another With Transmission Problems
Thanks AL. I'm working my way thru the shifting components. Once I get done with those I wil finish up with a how the whole system works and a different approach to trouble shooting shifting problems. The ultimate goal to to have a shifting manual to go with the transmission manual.

• Fjderosier
  • Topic Author
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
14 Aug 2021 16:49 #43703 by Fjderosier
A little update - got back at the car after getting side-tracked with another project. The transmission issues appear solved. Many thanks to Jim O'Brian for the very helpful recent articles on the shift switch, by the way. The wiring from switch to connector tested perfectly, repeatedly, so I left it alone. I had previously redone the lower harnesses with a new set from RI Wiring - and that all tested fine as well. I concluded the issue was at the solenoids. Following the rebuild outlined in the club bulletin, I went through it carefully. Solenoids all worked, rubber was pretty nice, and did a little clean up and put it back. This time, testing it out,I only had 3rd gear! Testing the solenoid in the car suggested a short at the brown wire terminals. Took it out again and everything tested perfectly on the bench. Back in the car, nothing worked, and the same short circuit seemed to be in play. Long story short was that the cover over the solenoids had dimpled slightly from tightening the bolts securing it and the underside of the cover where the solenoid wires are soldered on to the harness terminals was depressed enough to allow the terminals to contact the top of a solenoid. Some electrical tape on the top of the solenoids provided all gears on shifting in the garage, but lasted about 10 minutes on a road test as the terminals managed to pierce the tape and short things again. Did what I could to straighten out the cover and put new tape and a thin piece of cardboard across the tops of the solenoids. Transmission is now shifting nicely after repeated drives.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds