1931 8-98 Cooling Update and still an issue

More
17 Aug 2016 02:04 #31545 by Tom_Parkinson
Tom_Parkinson replied the topic: Re: 1931 8-98 Cooling Update and still an issue
Hi Mike,

The Lasalle's water pump did not have a pin or a set screw feature. It apparently relied--badly--on the tight fit of the impeller. Now it relies on the Lok-Tite. :-)

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: http://mbcurl.me/YCSE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• curtiss
  • curtiss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
19 Aug 2016 11:50 #31562 by curtiss
curtiss replied the topic: Re: 1931 8-98 Cooling Update and still an issue
UPDATE:

I tried holding the outlet hose pinched closed with my hands and it barely pushed any pressure out.

I removed the water pump and removed the 4 bolts but for some reason the case is not separating and I did not want to break it so I figured I would ask for suggestions.

I could shine a light in the hose outlet and look in the drain plug and I could see what appeared to be an aluminum impeller and it looks a little chewed up. Additionally the shaft does not appear to be secured to the impeller as I could stick a screw driver in to stop the impeller from turning and I could turn the input shaft.

Looks like I will need to send it off for a rebuild but I need it back kinda quick as we have The reunion coming up and a show to go to in early October.

Are impellers available any place if this one has to be replaced?

More
22 Aug 2016 04:34 #31575 by johnmereness
johnmereness replied the topic: Re: 1931 8-98 Cooling Update and still an issue
Pitting is probably not much harm - what you are trying to do is get the impeller pretty close to the housing to make a quasi "bucket" - ie. You can move more water with a "U" than and "L".

You can always put a drive pin in the impeller or ask a machine tool shop for a "best" fix.

Also, Bill Vestivich mentioned you the other day

JMM

• curtiss
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
25 Aug 2016 22:02 #31603 by curtiss

johnmereness wrote: Pitting is probably not much harm - what you are trying to do is get the impeller pretty close to the housing to make a quasi "bucket" - ie. You can move more water with a "U" than and "L".

You can always put a drive pin in the impeller or ask a machine tool shop for a "best" fix.

Also, Bill Vestivich mentioned you the other day

Thanks John, I just saw Bill last weekend and he mentioned you recognizing me form the forum.

• curtiss
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
30 Aug 2016 18:12 #31628 by curtiss
Update:
As I mention in my last post I sent the water pump off for a rebuild and knowing it would not be ready to get the car to Auburn this week we worked on getting the speedster ready just to find we have a fuel tank leak and what I think is a sticky valve under load.

I decided to take the water pump off of the speedster and put it on the other car last night. I took it out for a test drive today (95 degrees out) and I think the water pump did the trick. While driving it ran about 180 and hit 190 for long idles. Timing might still need some work.

I installed the proper hoses and clamps to find the pressure side hose leaked. I am thinking the pressure built up too much with a thermostat that I installed so I removed the thermostat and I was able to get the leak to quit from the hoses.

More
05 Sep 2016 17:26 #31643 by johnmereness
johnmereness replied the topic: Re: 1931 8-98 Cooling Update and still an issue
Maybe try some Marvel Mystery Oil in the Gas - smokes a little, though good stuff !

JMM

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds