New Interior for 851/2 replica

More
17 May 2019 17:34 #37242 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic New Interior for 851/2 replica
What is difficult to discern in the picture of the copper speedster interior is the
pattern in the leather. it was no small task to reproduce that.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnmereness, AuburnNut

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AuburnNut
  • AuburnNut's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
17 May 2019 17:51 - 30 May 2019 12:11 #37245 by AuburnNut
Replied by AuburnNut on topic New Interior for 851/2 replica
Curt
The black interior you have done certainly looks magnificent and is the first and only interior door card and seat that looks completely authentic to me. I’m sure there are others but no doubt it’s rare. What a wonderful reference photo.
Thankyou for confirming there are 13 panels in the original design of the seat. It is difficult to see in the earlier grey looking original interior because the photo is taken from the side. So 13 panels it is. For replicas, it may depend how wide their seat is as to how 13 panels look. They may have to compromise as I have done.

Your photos provide an additional reference point for interior door handle placement. I can see that they point downward at approximately a 45 degree angle. Interior door handles in replicas will of course vary in style to the original shown here. In fact I picked handles from an early ford Victoria, which I thought was a sympathetic design to the original. These ford style handles have a square shaft rather than a spline so the position of the handle is dictated by that and is far less adjustable than a spline. I’m not sure whether the original Auburn door interior door handle has a spline

I also note the pattern in the leather coloring. I was not aware that Auburn Leather was handpainted to give a mottled look. I have spent many years Restoring Rolls-Royce and Bentley interiors and they never used a mottled paint finish....so I am learning something new. For example a mid 1930’s Bentley is known as a Derby Bentley. Their Leather was a uniform color but had a wash of black leather color which was wiped on top of the main color and then immediately washed off so that it was retained within the natural leather grain low points. Connolly leather referred to that finish as Luxan.
Regards Jerome
Last edit: 30 May 2019 12:11 by AuburnNut.

More
17 May 2019 23:32 #37250 by Curt Schulze
The leather is not hand painted. It is pressed into the leather. This is true with the copper color speedster. Tom Haartz as the ability to do that . All speedster interiors are not necessarily like that .

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt
The following user(s) said Thank You: AuburnNut

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
18 May 2019 04:48 #37254 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic New Interior for 851/2 replica
No movement on orig. seats in orig. speedsters.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• AuburnNut
  • AuburnNut's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
24 May 2019 11:31 - 17 Jun 2019 14:44 #37301 by AuburnNut
Replied by AuburnNut on topic New Interior for 851/2 replica
SECTION 3: DASHBOARD & INSTRUMENTATION

In this section I will discuss the Dashboard layout and Instrumentation. I will show the original design and then discuss alternatives for Replica car owners. Most of our replicas were built in the 1970’s and 1980’s, when the choice of instrumentation was pretty basic. The aftermarket industry today is much greater than it was back then. Many replica cars have various types of gauges used but I note many had basic Stewart Warner gauges but there are a whole range of other providers that were used. In my case, my car was equipped with AutoMeter gauges. The thing to remember with gauges is that the sensors must match the calibration of the gauges. If you change your gauges you may need to change other aspects of your car to ensure the gauges work properly. Let’s start by looking at an original interior in the photo below.
Note the following info relating to the original....

1) there are 2 large gauges in the panel in front of the driver and one smaller gauge. The photo shows what each gauge does. Each large gauge (on drivers side) is 4 & 5/8 inches in diameter while the smaller middle gauge is 2 & 7/8 Inches in diameter. These dimensions are important if you are trying to replicate the layout of the original, even if you are using alternative instruments. You may find it difficult to match the exact size of these instruments with alternatives in the aftermarket industry. There are however sizes that are close as you can find many instruments that are 4 & 3/8 inch diameter (little smaller) and many instruments that are 2 & 5/8 inches

2) there are either 1 or 2 gauges in the panel in front of the passenger. One for a radio (if fitted) and the other for a clock. All Speedsters had clocks, but I understand the radio was an option. All original gauges were actually made by Stewart Warner (except the clock), although there is no labeling on the instrument faces. These gauges are unique to Auburn. They come up for sale occasionally so are therefore difficult to acquire in a hurry.....you will need to scour Ebay etc and collect them over the months/years.

The size of the clock is 2 & 7/8 Inches in diameter and the size of the radio is ??????? Inches in diameter

3) note the 3 knobs and one Toggle switch surrounds the tachometer on the driver side. The Choke knob obviously is not required on most replicas because most of our engines have automatic chokes rather than manual chokes. The Gas knob essentially is an idle control (to freeze revs at a certain level) which once again is not required on a replica, while the Light Knob obviously controls the Headlights. The chrome Toggle switch controls the fog lights if you have them. There are many ways you could wire your ighting on your car, so this is an area where you could repurpose these switches to control what is relevant to your replica. If you are using an original instrument background panel (metal plate with stripes), you can use the area designated for these 4 switches as switches, or you can place small turn signal lights, high beam lights, or a combination of switches and lights.

4) note that the background panel which surrounds the instruments (and has the stripes going along it) are available new from Auburns Midwest. They look excellent in my opinion and are reasonably priced. However be aware that you should try and get matching sized instruments so as to match the circles printed into the background plate. They are already precut to my knowledge which is another reason why you would want to acquire instruments matching the original size.
Regards Jerome

TBC
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Jun 2019 14:44 by AuburnNut.

More
24 May 2019 13:21 #37302 by Curt Schulze
There were twenty plus manufactures of reproduction Auburn speedsters thru the years, and no two are alike. For original cars, all gauges in front of the driver were the same. All speedsters had a clock. The radio was an option. Back in the 70's Glenn Pray built and sold as kits 17 (or so) cars with real steel bodies, fenders etc. They had an original straight eight with a Switzer-Cummins Supercharger. The gauges are Stewart Warner, the clock is Borg. These cars do come up for sale from time to time.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

Time to create page: 0.882 seconds