New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

New Interior for 851/2 replica

More
16 May 2019 15:24 #37225 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic New Interior for 851/2 replica
This is an original speedster door panel . There were small differences in the way they were sewn. When the cars come together, it is pretty easy to separate the fly specks from the pepper.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AuburnNut
  • AuburnNut's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
16 May 2019 16:00 - 30 May 2019 12:06 #37226 by AuburnNut
Replied by AuburnNut on topic New Interior for 851/2 replica
Curt
That’s marvelous! Thanks so much for either digging out the photo, or, going to the effort of making a new photo of an original interior....brilliant. I think this photo proves the 3 decorative lines at the top of the panel DO match the curve of the top of the door, AND they DO have a hard edge at the point they turn. It also shows the top line of the flap does broadly match the shape of the top of the door, but it is still fairly straight. It’s interesting that the top of the flap appears to be sewn down onto the panel with a brass fixing point on either end. I have not yet seen this on any car out there today (I’d say almost all cars have been redone without this feature).
Lastly, the red color Appears to be a darkish shade but it is not as dark as my wine/burgundy color.

Curt....thanks so much for getting that photo. This is very helpful to recording originality. Well done!
Regards Jerome
Last edit: 30 May 2019 12:06 by AuburnNut.

More
17 May 2019 11:52 #37229 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic New Interior for 851/2 replica
A few years ago there were two guys in Sweden that went the extra mile to make their cars original. They converted the hubs so they could run Motor Wheel wire wheels then they could install real Auburn hubcaps. They converted the dash to utilize correct Auburn gauges. All four pipes exited on the LH side, Stabil-light headlights and more. It is safe to say those cars are real foolers.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• AuburnNut
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
17 May 2019 12:28 - 30 May 2019 12:07 #37230 by AuburnNut
Curt
That’s very interesting, and it’s great to have a guy like yourself contribute to this discussion.. I think I will have a separate posting on wheels for replicas, and we can consider different styles and approaches in that. I’m sure you will have plenty to contribute. What I am hoping to do is to create an archive of sorts for replica owners to be educated on originality of various features of the car’s, and then to consider whether they want to retrofit original equipment (which I think is always desirable if you can afford it and if it’s available) or a suitably sympathetic alternative. I think I’d like to keep each Topic Thread on this website on point, and not depart from the topic in discussion. That way it becomes a concise reference point for others. This topic is 35/36 interiors, so I’d like to continue on that, and suggest I now post some information on the car seat.

I really wanted to write a series of articles in the ACD magazine, but after correspondence with our current ACD President, and the President before that, it appears the ACD magazine only discusses articles on original car’s......I think a very disappointing aspect of the club for a member like myself.....it stems I understand from the original documentation and creation of the club which states it relates to the preservation of original cars. I honestly don’t know why they don’t consider changing the charter of the club, I’ve done that before in other clubs, but that is for the leaders of the club to consider. So, instead I will use this forum of a way of providing information to replica owners on originality, and practical departures they might make to achieve a practical yet high standard. It will also be a useful source of info to new buyers of replicas so they can determine how accurate the replica is......if that is important to them. I absolutely hate some replicas that depart radically from original, where they mix overly modern style components with the original 1930’s design of the car......and are just plain ugly in their treatment of various features on a car.
Regards Jerome
Last edit: 30 May 2019 12:07 by AuburnNut.

• AuburnNut
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
17 May 2019 15:30 - 30 May 2019 12:07 #37231 by AuburnNut
SECTION 2: SEAT
Attached is a photo of the car seat I have just built. It is once again very sympathetic to the original car seat design, but does differ a little due to practical issues and personal preferences. I will discuss the differences shortly. I should say, this car seat is based on a Ford car bench seat which has been shortened to fit the cabin of a Speedster. I did not do that, but the manufacturer Elegant Motors did. I could tell it was a shortened seat because of the weld marks on the frame once I pulled the seat apart. This particular seat is on tracks, which allow you to move the seat forward or backwards by lifting a lever on the side of the seat. The seat also tilts forward by moving another lever on the side of the back cushion which is useful to access the storage area behind the seat. Both features are desirable and practical. I do not know what functionality the original seats had in terms of moving them forward and backwards, or tilting the back cushion forward.....(Note: Mike in a later post tell us the original car does not have the ability to move the seat forward or backwards, and the original seat does not tilt either)
Regards Jerome

Attachments:
Last edit: 30 May 2019 12:07 by AuburnNut.

• AuburnNut
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
17 May 2019 15:34 - 30 May 2019 12:08 #37232 by AuburnNut
Once again, for comparative purposes, here is an original seat. 35/36 Speedsters had 2 different designs. My seat is modeled of the late 35 or 1936 style that has pleats in the cushion. The other design used flat leather without pleats. I will show both original designs
Regards Jerome
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 May 2019 12:08 by AuburnNut.

Time to create page: 0.263 seconds