New Interior for 851/2 replica

• AuburnNut
  • AuburnNut's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
15 May 2019 22:27 - 24 May 2019 10:17 #37219 by AuburnNut
Replied by AuburnNut on topic New Interior for 851/2 replica
Here is another apparently original car with a redone interior. Here it has the hard edge turn on the 3 line decoration, but it has a metal retainer clip for the flap in the door. I believe Burco retainer clips were used on other Auburns, but not on the 35/36 Speedster. At least that’s what I understand from my research. Since completing my door card I can see why a metal retaining button was used in this salmon colored interior- it is because the flap has a tendency to float outwards due to the shape of the door and if the flap has been folded over itself at the top....creating a bulkiness in the leather which encourages the flap to open. I may be installing one of these retainer buttons myself even though it is not original.
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 May 2019 10:17 by AuburnNut.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
16 May 2019 03:28 #37220 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic New Interior for 851/2 replica
I have seen the "T" nails on ebay but they are not on know.

Mike Huffman

More
16 May 2019 11:50 #37221 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic New Interior for 851/2 replica
The factory never used the salmon color leather / vinal for speedsters or any other 34-36 Auburn.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• AuburnNut
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
16 May 2019 12:13 #37222 by AuburnNut
Curt
Thanks for your reply and contributing to the discussion. I’m not surprised Salmon was not an original color of leather from the factory. I personally think it looks great on that particular car, as it contrasts well to the sage colored paint....and was clearly an owners choice.
1) Can you tell us what were the original leather colors from the factory?
2) re the differing features I have highlighted in several door card photos (eg 1: the shape of the 3 lines, do they have a hard or soft turn on original car’s etc), as a very experienced ACD member and expert, what is your view on what is original

More
16 May 2019 13:19 #37223 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic New Interior for 851/2 replica
To the best of my knowledge: red ,black , cream , green , blue. I do have an original top and interior that was removed from a speedster years ago. I will reserve comment on hard or soft turns etc. .

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• AuburnNut
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
16 May 2019 13:48 #37224 by AuburnNut
Thanks for info on leather colors. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to respond given your extensive expertise. That gives us all a guide as to the original broad palette of colors....but as we all know, colors vary tremendously. For example, as you can see in earlier pictures my car has been done in a leather color called “Wine” and is essentially a burgundy color. Is that red? Does that match the original factory color or is it way off.....who knows?

Does any person in the ACD club, to your knowledge have definitive expertise on interiors. Presumably our ACD club has judges of authenticity ....because it is hard to judge a concours without knowing the facts. That being said, I have owned very rare Rolls Royce and Bentley motor cars, and I know for a fact that the expertise in concours judging does not exist in many of the various clubs....particularly in interiors.

Now I have an Elegant Motors Speedster replica, so obviously that car doesn’t count in terms of originality. It’s a very well built replica, but It will never be in an ACD concours. I’m just trying to produce a car that’s sympathetic to the original.....in a sense it pays homage. So I guess I’m suggesting that the best we Replica car owners can do is produce an interior that makes us individually happy, but is sympathetic to the original. If we understand the original features, we can make reasoned judgements over departures from the original.

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds