Skip to main content

Sale of Mormon Meteor

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
19 Aug 2004 22:43 #2088 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic Mormon Meteor
I'd have to agree that the "Mormon Meteor" auction price has little to do with Duesenbergs in the sale arena. It's probably one of the higher prices for a "Hot Rod"!

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Duesey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
19 Aug 2004 18:04 #2086 by Duesey
Replied by Duesey on topic Sale of Mormon Meteor

Josh Malks wrote: The following is an opinion. I am open to listening to contrary ones.

With all due respect, saying that the Mormon Meteor set a new price record for a Duesenberg is like saying that the sale of a Ford GT-40 at $557,500 last year set a new record for a Ford. Neither is a true example of the marque, and we really should not let the values (and certainly not the averages) be skewed in this fashion.

That is a fair opinion, by by your definition, what is a "Duesenberg?" Would that mean a Duesenberg, a Model J (or more speciafically supercharged SJ) in this case is really only a Murphy catolog car? Or is the only thing that truly defines a Duesenberg the grill, which the Mormon Meteor lacks? I would firmly argue that the MM is definitely a Duesenberg, it was specially built by August Duesenberg for Ab Jenkins, and represents a unique example of the make, a car that is unlike most any other Duesey, but still a Duesenberg through and through. The engine is slightly modified, by Augie, but the chassis, suspension, brakes, and all other workings of the car are actually bone stock. If this car had not been reconverted back from its short stint with a Curtis King airplane motor, I would say you are right, but being that this car is all original, and even eccentric designs, if originally equipped, are original, I would say that this is a true Duesenberg and does reflect the values of unique, one off Duesenbergs which hold the rarified air above the $1 million mark. A price record for a catolog Duesenberg would reflect the overall market for fairly common bodied cars, but this is not a common bodied car, yet it is still a Duesenberg.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
19 Aug 2004 06:56 #2085 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Sale of Mormon Meteor
The following is an [u:1qzev2tp]opinion[/u:1qzev2tp]. I am open to listening to contrary ones.

With all due respect, saying that the Mormon Meteor set a new price record for a Duesenberg is like saying that the sale of a Ford GT-40 at $557,500 last year set a new record for a Ford. Neither is a true example of the marque, and we really should not let the values (and certainly not the averages) be skewed in this fashion.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Duesey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
18 Aug 2004 17:37 #2082 by Duesey
Sale of Mormon Meteor was created by Duesey
Here are a few shots I took at the Gooding and Co. Auction of the 1935 Duesenberg SJ Mormon Meteor. It sold for $4.05 million after heated bidding, setting a new record for a Duesenberg.