Skip to main content

Now that's just wrong!

• Don C. Loux
  • Visitor
27 Sep 2007 06:53 #8162 by Don C. Loux
Replied by Don C. Loux on topic Replicas, Cord, Auburn, etc.
I guess I'm going to have to get into this! No Josh, I wasn't napping! Although, I did sleep in late this AM! Had to take a jeep to
Bakersfield yesterday and bring one back. 10 hrs in a jeep on hwy 5 is not good for the back or the teeth!
Wes, I always liked that picture of your in your Cord. But do send Bill the other ones you sent me. The ones on the grass. I'm going to need some new ones for the updated web-page. I would like to use some of yours. Also, Wes, don't let the "lookie loos" get your goat! Like Chris said: Most folks don't know what their looking at. I always have to smile when I tell them that its a Cord replica, and they come back with, "oh, you mean like a Honda!" If you want to have some fun, go to a grocery store parking lot, take two spaces, put the top down and get out your cell phone and maybe a map and pretend you're lost. Watch the crowd gather, while their ice cream melts, and listen to the positive remarks. Some of the woman may even want to sit in the car. I think its a Ladies car anyway.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
26 Sep 2007 11:54 #8144 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Now that's just wrong!
Why all this fuss? Can't you guys let Don nap in peace?

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Wes Trail
  • Visitor
26 Sep 2007 00:13 #8141 by Wes Trail
Replied by Wes Trail on topic Now that's just wrong!
The Cord has a wheel track and wheel base pretty close to original. The front altitude looks a little high to me (It's on the to do list, believe me--just haven't got there!) I think Bill is probably correct with the rareness, as there are how many originals left? Maybe 20 correct size/proportion originals (DuLoux only made around 10 or something like that.) Between it and the Auburn, more often than not, people guess the Cord to be original and the Auburn to be replica. There again, it's a numbers thing.

• Bill Hummel
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
25 Sep 2007 23:35 #8140 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Now that's just wrong!

Wes Trail wrote: So I drove my dad's 37 Cord replica to the NSRA north meet in Kalamazoo a couple years ago. I'm just wandering what is the determining factor that makes this car that they believe to be a fake?

Good looking Cord! Perhaps it's the wide stance of the wheels or the height of the car that gives it away. More likely, the reason is that these cars are SO rare that folks are just plain curious. They may believe it to be real and just want to see the transmission, etc.

We are always interested in the many flavors of Cords around here. More than a few of our Club's members have experimented with replicas and fiberglass replacement parts over the years. The Club has no problem with replicas as long as they are not mis-represented.

Why not send some pictures of your Dad's Cord to us and we'll get them posted.

We're lucky to have cars that folks want to copy! How many Nash replicas have you seen lately :D

Send your photos to: <a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url] Be sure to send some under the hood photos too.

• Wes Trail
  • Visitor
25 Sep 2007 21:37 #8139 by Wes Trail
It's actually pretty interesting that many people can identify the Cord. But the Auburn (1935 speedster) gets a lot of the "Ooooh, look at that Duesenberg!" comments. It turns out, though many people will just assume what they like, feel the fender, or look under it, and never ask. I don't know if they just don't want to take the time, or have had a bad experience in the past, but very few ever approach us and ask unless they actually know something and want to ask more.

I never expect anyone to be an expert on the cars at a car show and almost always have a 8"x10" form on the windshield telling about the car. I always try to inform people about the car and as our cars are fairly close representations of the originals, the public gets to see what they look like up close.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: It's getting to drive the cars, working on the cars, and hearing the stories about the cars that makes me want to take them out. I can understand not wanting to take something worth sooo much out. We've had some pretty hairy experiences driving our "modern" ACD cars around--there are some really bad drivers out there. One of the reasons we have the cars we have is they can be driven, and above all, they aren't your run-of-the-mill 32 Ford!

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
25 Sep 2007 19:40 #8137 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic Now that's just wrong!
Regarding the "1952 Duesenberg," not everyone who comes to a car show (or museum, or auction) is knowledgable. (If you aren't a car guy/gal, then the chances of you having seen something remotely similar to an 812 Cord are slim!) Have a print shop make up a really nice color-coordinated poster to lean against the snout of the car while it's at a show, with the name of the car, some specs, a little history, and owner's name at the bottom.

As for the inspectors... :rolleyes: It may be a replica but HEY, at least you're actually DRIVING it...which is more than can be said for some owners of the real thing. :P

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• Wes Trail
  • Visitor
25 Sep 2007 13:57 #8131 by Wes Trail
So I drove my dad's 37 Cord replica to the NSRA north meet in Kalamazoo a couple years ago. Not only at this show, but even at the local shows, there is almost always 1 person who gets down to take a peek under the car. I'm just wandering what is the determining factor that makes this car that they believe to be a 1952 Duesenberg (or any other combination of years and words on the 50th anniversary ACD club plate), a fake? Furthermore, once they realize it is a replica, they walk away and avoid it like the plague--what is the deal? Is it contagious?

I don't have the picture on my computer, but there are a couple of people "inspecting" the car!

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
25 Sep 2007 05:32 #8129 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic Now that's just wrong!
And so began his lifetime of therapy...

:D

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• Picture Gallery
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Registered
More
25 Sep 2007 04:00 #8128 by Picture Gallery
Now that's just wrong! was created by Picture Gallery
Dr. Flywheel cannot believe what he is seeing.

Now, that's just wrong!