Skip to main content

ACE COLLINS' 1936 CORD WESTCHESTER PROJECT UPDATE

More
30 Apr 2007 10:26 #6935 by RayCord
Replied by RayCord on topic Westchester resto
Congratulations - the car is coming along great - I know what's involved . check my website - www.cordinsa.co.za
Regards Ray

Cords in South Africa - visit my website: www.cordinsa.visible.co.za

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AceCollins
  • Registered
More
24 Mar 2007 02:06 #6663 by AceCollins
Replied by AceCollins on topic ACE COLLINS' 1936 CORD WESTCHESTER PROJECT UPDATE
If anyone can give me an update as to when the cam and pipes could have been added, I would love to know. I also want ot know if adding a cam without a SC driver was common. A WWII navy officer owned it during and after WWII, it had pipes then and when it arrived in Vancover, Canada in 1952. I would love to figure this mystery out. When the copper paint was added in the early fifties, they even painted the pipes copper as well. It stayed in Canada until I brought it back to Texas last year.

By the way, being a middle class writer with a couple of kids in college, only doing a driver restoration at this point. As it runs and drives well, not doing anything to the engine compartment. So the original interior is getting an update and we are painting the exterior. Someday, if I write a bestseller, maybe I can do a proper restoration. Until then I want something I can drive a couple of times a week.

Interesting note: The American Navy man who owned it in actually had a unique aluminum nameplate mounted on the car when he came back from WWII. He had crafted out of the metal taken from a downed Japanese Zero a piece a very profession "Duesenberg-Cord" logo and mounted it behind the pipes. I am keeping it, and in honor of the car's history finding a place to mount it on the dash.

1934 Auburn 652Y Four-Door Sedan
1936 Cord 810 Westchester

• Picture Gallery
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Registered
More
23 Mar 2007 23:19 #6659 by Picture Gallery
ACE COLLINS' 1936 CORD WESTCHESTER PROJECT UPDATE was created by Picture Gallery
My 1936 Cord 810 is coming along. This is how she looked today. Very few dents, no real rust, but a lot of waves we are removing. I am betting most of those were there when it left the factory. Should start seeing some red paint on this old gal by the middle of April, if not sooner. I think she will be on the road by June.

Ace

Where did the pipes come from? - Webmaster

I have asked that question to old timers. The pipes appear to be factory, but who knows? The car has a supercharge cam, but there is no driver for the supercharger, so the cam is different from the 37s. One of the tech guys at the club, a man from Illinois, told me that he has run into four other 1936 models with the same set up. He said that each might have been factory set ups to test the cams and exhausts. Another theory is that the cars were returned to the factory to have these special cams and pipes added in 37. But then why would they not have had the regular driver and SC set up? It tis a mystery, but I do know the pipes were on this car as far back as WWII when it was owned by an American naval officer.

Anyway, all numbers match on engine, transmission, etc. So it still carrying all its factory installed mechanics.

Ace