Skip to main content

AUBURN 851 SPEEDSTER IN BLACK DAHLIA MOVIE

• gdwow
  • Visitor
23 Feb 2007 04:14 #6434 by gdwow
Replied by gdwow on topic AUBURN 851 SPEEDSTER IN BLACK DAHLIA MOVIE
Hi Mike I didnt know your L29 was a kit car What a surprise yours Big T

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
22 Feb 2007 18:02 #6428 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic colors
My L-29 is painted a flashy blue and I actually had someone ask me if it was a kit car! I think you have a point with the colors comment.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Wes Trail
  • Visitor
21 Feb 2007 20:15 #6420 by Wes Trail
Replied by Wes Trail on topic AUBURN 851 SPEEDSTER IN BLACK DAHLIA MOVIE
Five things that make this a replica (most likely):
1: wipers both point to the right
2: two mirrors
3: headlamps
4: light coming through where the radiator should be.
5: external hood latches

While it is probably a replica, it is still really nice! A speedster is a classy machine.

As for popularity, the newer cars are slightly more recognizable, and are often painted more interesting colors. My father has 2 replicas (Auburn speedster and Cord 812) and they draw a crowd everywhere they go. Especially with replicas like ours, we wanted colors that accent the styling, so they are modern colors, but remain close to the original design. The fact that they are driven, and are brighter, metallic colors, and sport the more modern of the designs, may be why they attract attention (photographically at least) than an original car, as most people generally don't care if the car is completely original (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Now I have another movie to watch for an Auburn car!

• Bill Hummel
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
09 Jan 2007 00:07 #6138 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic AUBURN 851 SPEEDSTER IN BLACK DAHLIA MOVIE

Mike Dube wrote: Does anyone else notice that when non 'ACD' folks have a choice of two speedsters to take a picture of, they almost always shoot the replica?

Same reason why people like my '36 Cabriolet. Because of the wide stance it looks more agressive and "newer". Today's audience has no idea of what is correct.

This really hit home my first year in Auburn in 2002. I brought my "mutt" into the parking lot next to the Museum on Thursday when all the cars were gathering. When the TV trucks rolled up, the young newsbabe headed striaght for my Cord to do an interview. She walked right past all of the authentic cars and headed straight for me.

It definately wasn't because I am good looking or that I had an authentic car! She did not know who I was either at the time.....

It's simply because the newer cars are lower and racier. Even my Aunt Susan, (E.L.'s daughter) said she liked the replica Auburns better than the real ones.

• balinwire
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
08 Jan 2007 03:38 #6134 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic Black Dahlia
I have always been fascinated with this obscure story and could not wait for it to be released, after the Auburn post, I went and rented the movie. I have got to say it left me more confused about the event than ever.
The Auburn is well cast as the wealthy women's conveyance. It is shown for a split second so it cannot be positively ID'd during viewing, but it is just a prop.
They must have burned several vintage autos for the riot scene. They really got the look of the time with the vintage costumes.
Interestingly, the old LA courthouse that had the earthquake in the picture, was reequipped with motion dampeners in the eighty's to prevent a collapse in case of another quake.
Even the glass on the Hancock Park estate had waves. Very detailed representation of an other era, but not a movie for the delicate members of a household. Violence, nudity, but don't all the new movies have that?

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
06 Jan 2007 00:38 #6123 by Mike Dube
Replied by Mike Dube on topic AUBURN 851 SPEEDSTER IN BLACK DAHLIA MOVIE
I agree with Mark, the wheels are too fat as well. Some of the replicars are definitely better than others though.

Does anyone else notice that when non 'ACD' folks have a choice of two speedsters to take a picture of, they almost always shoot the replica?

Mike
8-100A

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
05 Jan 2007 16:55 #6121 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic speedster
It's a replica. Take a look at the headlites. Still a nice looking car though.

Mark

• Picture Gallery
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Registered
More
05 Jan 2007 16:11 #6119 by Picture Gallery
AUBURN 851 SPEEDSTER IN BLACK DAHLIA MOVIE was created by Picture Gallery
Is it real or is it a replica? Most likely a replica. At least there are no pipes on the passenger side. Kudos to Brian DePalma for putting an ACD car in his movie.