Skip to main content

WEST COAST MEET - 2005

• Slate
  • Visitor
06 Jan 2006 22:53 #4202 by Slate
Replied by Slate on topic Owner name of this car?
I like the paint color (palm beach tan) of this one, does someone have a name? I'd like to give them a call (assuming that they wouldn't mind of course).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
11 Nov 2005 04:09 #3927 by
Replied by on topic WEST COAST MEET - 2005
Hi Bailingwire,
Mary and I took this picture at the Peterson Museum on our way to the West Coast Meet. They referred to it as a tractor and a motor home. Sorry we didn't write down the details. If I find out anything more about it, I will let you know. Thanks
Tom Dudley

• balinwire
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
08 Nov 2005 13:43 #3903 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic WEST COAST MEET - 2005
This is a very interesting rig, could you please give more details,year owner, history, I have seen pictures of similar campers but did not know of any survivors, that would have been the best of show.

More
07 Nov 2005 07:54 #3896 by RayCord
Replied by RayCord on topic Amazing Photos
Thanks for an amazing range of photos. For those of us on the other side of the world who can't get to these events, the pictures certainly tell a story. Congratulations to the photographer who has an amazing eye for detail and took some awesome pics!
Regards
Ray

Cords in South Africa - visit my website: www.cordinsa.visible.co.za

• Picture Gallery
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Registered
More
05 Nov 2005 16:08 #3882 by Picture Gallery
WEST COAST MEET - 2005 was created by Picture Gallery
This year was the 49th consecutive reunion of the West Coast Meet and next year will be the Golden 50th which is historically only 1 year behind the National Club! We have more MUGS and T-SHIRTS available. Contact Paul Taylor at 805-489-7822.

PICTURE GALLERY --- Full Story below.

It is my understanding that the very first get together was in the small mid-state town of Madera, California and the second meet was in none other than the city of Santa Maria at the Santa Maria Inn which was our meeting place this year and our meeting city the last 3 years and planned for the next. The Santa Maria Inn and the Radisson Hotel at the Airport are both owned by fellow ACD members Hardy and Judy Hearn who are the most gracious hosts that anyone or any club could hope for. Besides their wonderful hospitality they are avid car enthusiasts owning, maintaining and showing 2 beautiful Cord automobiles! We are so fortunate to have them as active club members and friends!

This years Meet was attended by 85 members and friends including the Club President Mary Killeen and her Husband Tom Dudley all the way from Michigan. All told there were 10 states represented punctuated by the attendance of the former National Best of Show car, the Cord SC convertible coupe owned by the Wohlwend's of Camano Island, WA. who drove the car over 2000 miles round trip. In some stiff competition they won this years Best of Show West Coast Meet trophy to add to the cars achievements. Many high point cars were in attendance putting pressure on the very experienced and capable judging teams. Included in the attendees was Chuck Swimmer with members of his family and friends showing his Black Beauty a 1929 model J Duesenberg conv. coupe listing Howard Hughes as the original purchaser. These cars were representative of the 25 cars in attendance. For those not familiar with the ACD judging the West Coast it is one of the exclusive Meet locations along with the Auburn Reunion and the East Coast Meet to have judging as part of the show activites. In addition of the 25 cars attending 6 joined the ranks of over 1000 ACD cars that have been Certified by Paul and Martha Bryant and their team of helpers over the past years, the Bryants coming all the way from Kansas.

On Saturday after the car show and judging activity and a sunny courtyard luncheon many chose to motor on a short countryside tour to the small historic town of Los Alamos and for wine tasting by some and leisurely strolling or antique store browsing by others. We then continued a tour to a ranch of vineyards and horses owned by a local collector Jerry Thompson with a wonderful eclectic collection of restored classic and special cars and trucks. As is all too often the case, going back to the hotel included a haphazard 'to the winds march' sort of disorganized operation that can happen when the followers forget to include the leaders of the tour. No mishaps and even with the confusion all found there way back in time to enjoy a memorable award dinner with a welcomed talk by our club president Mary Killeen and long time member and historian Randy Ema interviewing each member representing his or her family and friends with personal car stories of interest to all. Then the next am many who chose to stay enjoyed an out of this world Brunch and reminder to return next year for the big 50th Annual on Oct 20 - 22 at the Radisson in Santa Maria!