Illinois title pain

• clydester
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
17 Aug 2009 15:31 #14235 by clydester
Replied by clydester on topic Illinois title pain

sds1861 wrote: Hello Mark:
The catch 22 is that if your car is not titled to you, it is not registered or licensed in your name either, so to be legal, you would have trailer it to the license branch for the VIN inspection. Let me explain how Indiana law works on these issues and it may be of help in your particular situation.

By Indiana law, any antique car that is currently titled in another state has to have the VIN checked by the Indiana state police and an affidavit signed by them before we can apply for an Indiana title. The affidavit is picked up at any license branch and in the event that the car cannot be legally driven, the state police will send a trooper to the house to do the VIN check and sign the affidavit. A call to the nearest state police post usually results in same day service.

For the "for what it's worth department".

Kindest regards,

Evidently, the Indiana law applies to even those vehicles that are more recent. When I moved to Indiana from Illinois, shortly after I sold a 1995 vehicle (with Illinois title) to a neighbor. He had to have the VIN verified by the police when applying for Indiana title. Keep in mind that Indiana used to be a haven for those wanting to "wash" salvage titles from other States.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2009 00:31 #14227 by sds1861
Replied by sds1861 on topic Illinois title pain
Hello Mark:
The catch 22 is that if your car is not titled to you, it is not registered or licensed in your name either, so to be legal, you would have trailer it to the license branch for the VIN inspection. Let me explain how Indiana law works on these issues and it may be of help in your particular situation.

By Indiana law, any antique car that is currently titled in another state has to have the VIN checked by the Indiana state police and an affidavit signed by them before we can apply for an Indiana title. The affidavit is picked up at any license branch and in the event that the car cannot be legally driven, the state police will send a trooper to the house to do the VIN check and sign the affidavit. A call to the nearest state police post usually results in same day service.

For the "for what it's worth department".

Kindest regards,
Steve Stevens

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
14 Aug 2009 18:47 #14225 by ilikescars
Illinois title pain was created by ilikescars
Hi: I recently applied for a title for my 36 Auburn Cabriolet here in Illinois and ran into a problem. Apparently the state has launched a big investigation into VIN number irregularities for cars from the 40s and earlier. The investigator told me that my VIN number is incorrect because it has too few numbers in it and has a letter at the end. They think that "852" should be in the first part of the VIN and no letter at the end. I know they are wrong, but now I'm being forced to bring the car in for inspection.

Right now I'm trying to educate them, so I'll keep club members informed as to the outcome.

Mark

BTW, my VIN is: 33250F