The OEM Jack Identification Project

• balinwire
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
18 Jul 2008 20:40 #10738 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic Re: Avatar

Picture Gallery wrote: OK, here you go.

It's easy to see that is The Gabe checking out Georges good deal stuff for sale down on the asphalt parking lot at the ACD flea mkt.

Don't smoke to much, drink to much, eat to much or work to much. We're all on the road to the grave -- but there's no need to be in the passing lane.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
18 Jul 2008 19:29 #10737 by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
Replied by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER on topic Flea Market and comments
Well that is a good question, how early? Let me say if you approach the flea market at 10AM your missing out. So what I propose to you is this. I will have a cup of coffee for you at my spot at 6:00 AM. if of coarse you can get out of your daily routine,Sir.
Now it was a funny thing one year I figured I will be the first one up and get a prime location. That was at 6:45 AM boy was I wrong the fleas were out, I said to an early flea what time did you get here his reply was 5:45, and I replied I just saw you on the square his reply was who sleeps at Auburn. The early bird does get the worm. So for your info George Arakelian was that early flea, Bill Driest slept there in his \motor home, how sweet is that.

That picture is great of a past D owner, how would you like to arrive in his speedster, I bet Al Ferrara loves Mr Gables car ever moment he drives it. I know I would, who needs a passport anyway!

LIFE MEMBER #25 Man of the Year 2011 WHAT EVER WE DO FOR OURSELF DIES WITH US
WHAT EVER WE DO FOR THE WORLD STAYS
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Picture Gallery
  • Banned
  • Registered
More
18 Jul 2008 19:29 #10736 by Picture Gallery
Replied by Picture Gallery on topic Avatar
OK, here you go.

• balinwire
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
18 Jul 2008 19:24 #10735 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic The OEM Jack Identification Project
Hey Admin, you need to get your glasses checked.. I quit smoking years ago,

Frogs have it easy, They can eat what bugs them.

• acdclubadmin
  • New Forum User
  • Registered
More
18 Jul 2008 17:09 #10732 by acdclubadmin
Replied by acdclubadmin on topic Re: Testing the limits

balinwire wrote: There is nothing more miserable in the world than to arrive in paradise and look like your passport photo

Here, use this one. Looks just like you.

Bill Hummel - Webmaster - ACD Club

• acdclubadmin
  • New Forum User
  • Registered
More
18 Jul 2008 17:02 #10731 by acdclubadmin
Replied by acdclubadmin on topic Re: Flea Market

ETHAN ALLEN TURNER wrote: You can truly find that long sort after part. I have no question about that. Make sure you get there early, real early no kidding.

How early? At the Auburn Inn, they usually don't bring me my coffee until 9:15 am.

Bill Hummel - Webmaster - ACD Club

• Bill Hummel
  • Registered
More
18 Jul 2008 16:58 #10730 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic The OEM Jack Identification Project

Wowabunga wrote: Mr Ethan Turner.... fyi your photo does not show.

It does now. Check his original post.

• ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
  • Registered
More
17 Jul 2008 03:27 #10714 by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
Replied by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER on topic Flea Market
Hey Mike,
It is certainly open to our members for a fee for vendors that is of coarse first come first served. A must if you are looking for that needed part for your loved one. Anybody is welcomed to purchase from your table free of charge a benefit to our membership. A little history about the market it started from some of our member selling parts from the trunk of there car at Friday evening on the square. Then a group of members got together and decided the following year to sell in a group at curb side. Then came Glenn Pray, Eric Cain, and I think Stan. Then it kind of drizzled out. Than in 1984 the board took the bull by the horns and organized it and its been by the Museum every since. What a great happening it certainly draws the attention of all ACD members and non members in attendance. You can truly find that long sort after part. I have no question about that. Make sure you get there early, real early no kidding.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
17 Jul 2008 02:43 #10711 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic The OEM Jack Identification Project
The ACD swap meet is held in the ACD Museum south parking lot Fri. morning. As I said it is open to ACD Club members only.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Wowabunga
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
14 Jul 2008 18:00 #10692 by Wowabunga
Replied by Wowabunga on topic The OEM Jack Identification Project
Mr Mike Huffman... thanks for the invitation I may have to consider such. Prior to my visit to the Auburn Festival last year I'd never seen a Duesenberg before in person and got quite an education.

When I spoke of the "Woods" I was referring to the wooded vendor area at the Kruse Auction property. I travel with a pet and am not too excited about leaving her out in the sun down in the flats area. Then again I travel with a rather good sized solar panel or two and in full sun... powering my import DC powered radiator fan... I can nearly take a finger off with the power created. And don't listen to the oil people... my one 90watt solar power kicks out some serious power, enough to run my laptop, a small tv, and a pigtail flourscent bulb at night off of batteries... did this for 2 years straight. Anyway I guess I'll be down in the flats baking in the sun.

As per the ACD vendor swap... is this different from the large vendor area that surrounds the Kruse Complex ?

Mr Ethan Turner.... fyi your photo does not show.

Laugh Hard, Hang Tough, Lend a Hand
Ramblin Randy

• ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
  • Registered
More
13 Jul 2008 21:10 #10676 by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
Replied by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER on topic Post reply 810/812 Jack
Here is a picture of a Cord Jack that I found in a Cord I once owned. You can see the straps holding the screw and base plate to the floor. All jacks were installed here in trunk except for the installation of the Jack in the cabriolet which was installed behind and under the passenger seat just behind the tool box. The rest of the jack mechanism was in a canvas bag and keep in the tool box under right hand seat for all cars.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
10 Jul 2008 03:11 #10620 by mikespeed35
Hi Wowabunga, Just to let you know there is no parts vending in the Woods. I assume you are referring to the park on Sat. You also must be a member to get into the park. The ACD Club does have a swap meet Fri. morning, but it is for ACD Club members only. Why not join and make some new friends.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Josh Malks
  • Registered
More
08 Jul 2008 15:52 #10604 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic The OEM Jack Identification Project
In the photo sent by Bob Coleman, the "jaws" that grip the top and bottom of the bumper are shown in the closed position in the extreme upper right corner of the photo. Their purpose was the mangle the bumper chrome on the bottom [i:3benwxb1]and[/i:3benwxb1] the top.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Wowabunga
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
08 Jul 2008 05:11 #10601 by Wowabunga
Replied by Wowabunga on topic The OEM Jack Identification Project
Here's me returning from a forage at Spring Carlisle with a red wagon full of old jacks. In the background is my biggest toy/project... Bobby Allison's old NASCAR hauler.

Ramblin Randy

• Wowabunga
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
08 Jul 2008 04:58 #10600 by Wowabunga
Replied by Wowabunga on topic Keep Them Coming...
I'm enjoying the conversation and the photos also...!

The "screw style post" style was also used by ford as an accessory item in about 1936, and they sell in the $300 neighborhood... eitherway they don't look too functional that's for sure. Also the Crosley used the "screw post" as well. This is the first time I've heard of the Cord using a "screw post". More info gained... thanks again.

Hey Bail'n Wire... your video is a real hoot...! Was watching your youtube vid and on the same page was a ad for a new electric powered jack. Their sales motto is "Over Time Things Get Better"............... Ha Ha Ha ............

... re=related

As mentioned making a ID Guide will have a few "grey areas". As a talented freelance graphic designer once told me when I was getting my start in the art department... he said he always tackled the tough jobs first leaving "the easy" to be tacked on at the end. The Fords Mopars and GM's will be easy.

Mike... Yes, I expect to find all sorts of jacks at Auburn this year. FYI... just recently the folks over at the Packard Club put together a very extensive booklet on the "tools" used by Packed from the early years up thru the final years... an excellent extensive work of research.

I hope to be getting a vendor spot in the woods area for Auburn and will bring a few restored generic jacks along for sale.

Keep the Wealth of Knowledge Flowing....
Ramblin Randy

Ramblin Randy

• balinwire
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
07 Jul 2008 18:46 #10595 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic Testing the limits
Here is a video where I test the strength of the flat steel Cord rear bumper bracketing.

Very fine old car bumper jack, :D
... re=related

There is nothing more miserable in the world than to arrive in paradise and look like your passport photo

• R Coleman
  • Registered
More
07 Jul 2008 14:20 #10589 by R Coleman
Replied by R Coleman on topic The OEM Jack Identification Project
Yes, I believe the bag and jack are original for 810/812 Cords. Sorry, I am unable to answer the other questions.

Bob
810 2350H
812 31649S

• balinwire
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
07 Jul 2008 13:56 #10588 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic wonderful jack photo
A few questions, Is that an original duck canvas carring case? Is there a hook that the handle attaches to the bumper. Were these in the car when they were originally sold? Could you please post a youtube video of the bumper in use under the Cord bumper?

Have you seen one of these in your toolbox...e-bay item

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1954-Cor ... dZViewItem

• R Coleman
  • Registered
More
05 Jul 2008 12:49 #10583 by R Coleman
Replied by R Coleman on topic The OEM Jack Identification Project

Bob
810 2350H
812 31649S

• balinwire
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
05 Jul 2008 12:32 #10582 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic 810 jacks, what do they look like?
You have a very good idea with this ID book. There id?s for almost everything else, hood ornaments, coils, wiper motors, etc. There was never much interest in jacks in the past.

They are very unusual and they?re so many different types. There are bumper jacks, ratchet jacks, small bottle jacks and it goes on forever. They are sold as, ?IT CAME OUT OF of a 1930?s Whatablubber?, heck it could have been put in the jack recess sixty years ago.

The only jack I have that was factory marked was a GMC from the teens that had the raised letter script in the casting.

The jack I would like to see you picture is the threaded rod one that was supposedly factory stock for the Cord 812. I found one for 500$ and the seller wanted a thousand. Gimme a break. It really will not jack the car from the bumper, as it will bend the brackets before the car gets off the ground. It looks very cool in the trunk though at the show.

The only ones I ever saw were at the Auburn meet. Maybe someone could post a picture of a stock 810 threaded bumper jack with some measurements.

The best way to jack these low sitting cars up is with a rolling hydraulic floor jack, nowadays they are everywhere for small change and they will get down to less than four inches.

A heavy scissors jack from a WWII era military one will get under a low slung axel to change a tire without damaging anything and can be carried in the trunk.

The best way to handle this would be to have an original era jack, such as the heater was an aftermarket item purchased and installed at your local filling station.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
05 Jul 2008 03:06 #10581 by mikespeed35
Every trunk you pop at Auburn will have a different jack. Yes, they came with jacks and every owner swears he has the right one. In reality there were probably many different ones used. Where ever they could buy it cheaper. People are reluctant to share information because the moment they do the price of that jack goes from $40.00 to $175,.00.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
03 Jul 2008 23:30 #10568 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic The OEM Jack Identification Project
Randy: Your picture of the 34 Auburn jack is the same as I have in my 36 Auburn cabriolet. Also, the handle is a collapsible style, similar to what you would find in a Ford Ranger pickup truck.

Mark

More
03 Jul 2008 23:16 #10567 by Ohio AMX
Replied by Ohio AMX on topic The OEM Jack Identification Project
Sounds like a neat project, only wish that I could help!

Scott Campbell
Medina, OH

• Wowabunga
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
03 Jul 2008 18:05 #10559 by Wowabunga
The OEM Jack Identification Project was created by Wowabunga
In dusty barns all across the planet sit old jacks that need to find their way back home to the correct vehicle...! As a parts vendor I buy lots of old stuff.... and as a auctioneer once told me "if ya don't know what it is ya better buy it". Taking that advice, once a year I pull my large collection of old jacks, jack parts and pieces, and lay them out in the field and try to ID the things... some years are better than others as these things are tough to ID. Over the past few years I've been collecting photos of old jacks and now with over 600 reference photos I've decided I should just as well put all this info into a printed folder.

I like a good challenge.... and finding the original jacks for the Auburns, Cords, and Duesenbergs is going to be a journey. I like journeys and here we go; was at the 2007 Auburn Festival (was my first time ever visit) and it was a real hoot...! I met some really fine folks at the museum, but they could not find any illustrations of original jacks in any of their parts manuals.

So here's a few questions please:

1 ) Did some/most/all/none of the ACD cars come from the factory with jacks ?

2 ) Has anyone done any research already on OEM jacks ?

3 ) If I can make it to Auburn this year would you be willing to pop your trunk and let me get a photograph of your car's jack ?

Thank you in advance for any help or any productive directions you may provide.

Ramblin Randy