Arizona auction results?

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
29 Jan 2012 12:35 #22060 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
Thanks Matt.

In talking with a restorer friend about J-284 yesterday, I made the comment that Murphy convertible coupes are an unusual example of the most prevalent body style being the most desirable and, of late, valuable. Of the roughly 25 disappearing top cars built, the vast majority have survived.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• balinwire
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
29 Jan 2012 15:20 #22061 by balinwire
balinwire replied the topic:
The big D prices seem to be relatively strong and stable investments, we have seen the auction run up in other makes, Muscle, early Corvettes and the Tucker of course.

This may be a way to protect the value of currency as they deliver better than 10% in inflationary times.

Bob,
I saw a late night talk show Friday night where the crowd cheered. The guest was treated like royalty.

When they get around to the first amendment it could lead to property confiscation, interment, then the second.

When traveling in a very expensive vehicles, you need to protect your investment. A lot of the reason the Duesenberg and luxury vehicles of the thirties was halted was that the wealthy did not want to flaunt there wealth when unemployed workers were standing in soup lines.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
29 Jan 2012 19:43 #22063 by Chris Summers
Last year the owner of the Willoughby was looking for $400,000. Unfortunately there just never seems to be much of a market for the big formal cars, which are my very favorites. As Bob once told me, "aerodynamics of a paving brick."

It will be interesting to see who wound up with J-487 at that bargain price and what will be done with it. The engine change could have figured into the cost but it was done so early in the car's history that I feel it scarcely matters. Bob told me that the block was patched when Don Thompson owned the car. I inspected the engine a few years ago and the block showed no visible appearance of repair (to my very untrained eye) so I assume it was either replaced or more expertly repaired.

The car was running and driving well as of a few years ago.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA

• Bob Roller
More
29 Jan 2012 21:07 #22064 by Bob Roller
Bob Roller replied the topic: J487
Chris,
It was the head that had a copper patch on it,not the block..
It was toward the right front side and was held with small screws. It didn't leak so we did not disturb it. Don Thompson painted the engine International Harvester red and said he hated green unless it was the shade of green used on money.

Bob

Bob Roller

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
29 Jan 2012 23:25 #22066 by Chris Summers
Bob is, of course, correct, and it was the head I checked at O'Quinn's, not the block.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds