Skip to main content

"J" numbers

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
23 Sep 2010 04:36 #18070 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic "J" numbers
Up until this evening, the only published lists of J numbers I knew of were the aforementioned Adler book (based on Nethercutt Collection archives), Josh Malks's infinitely better [i:znbmckm9]Buyer's Guide[/i:znbmckm9] (based on Don Howell's notes with significant input from Roe, Ema, and other highly knowledgable folks), and my own Duesenberg Registry, once hosted on the now-defunct Automotive History Online website. (I hope that inaccurate list, scrambled together from auction catalogs in my salad days, is never seen again. Every time someone mentions it, I turn green.)

Jim sent me a scan of the lists from his 1975 edition of Elbert. They were compiled by Ray Wolff and Marshall Merkes and differ little from the typed copy of Wolff's notes that I have, and on which the Duesenberg Historian records (with liberal post-1990 authenticated corrections, alterations, and additions) are being based.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
23 Sep 2010 04:12 #18067 by
Replied by on topic "J" numbers
Back in the seventies thre was an oversized book, about 1-1/4 inches thick. It had the number list in the back. I don't remember the title or the author.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
23 Sep 2010 00:26 #18066 by Chris Summers
Okay, that explains it...I figured one of us must be hallucinating, and it was probably me. :D Thanks much.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

• Visitor
23 Sep 2010 00:24 #18065 by
Hi Chris,
I have two copies, a 1954 edition which doesn't have the list and a 1975 edition. The 1975 edition has 23 extra pages in the back that the earlier edition doesn't have. The list does reference body swaps but doesn't say when they were done. I'll see if I can't get you a copy of these pages.
Jim

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
22 Sep 2010 23:36 #18064 by Chris Summers
Jim,

I was wondering why I didn't remember a list of J-numbers at the back of Elbert...my copy (1964 hardcover "Collector's Edition") lacks it. I've been able to read an original 1951 edition and I don't recall it having the J numbers either. I know some people prefer certain editions of Elbert and Roe to others, is this one of the reasons? I'm interested to know what copy you have.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
22 Sep 2010 14:54 #18057 by Chris Summers
Hi, George,

I haven't had a chance to examine the Elbert list yet, but the Adler one has its errors. To the best of my knowledge neither lists body swaps which usually involve some digging into more recent sources. Years of manufacture don't really apply to Model Js since some chassis and completed cars were not sold for a few years after being built.

I'm currently working on a semi-definitive list of supercharged Duesenbergs and when they were supercharged, for Club use...this will, obviously, be open to discussion and argument.

Always happy to answer any specific questions you may have to the best of my ability.

Chris

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

• Visitor
22 Sep 2010 00:50 #18056 by
George,
Both Elbert and Adler list the J's by serial number with engine number and body in the back of their books.
Jim

• E L
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
22 Sep 2010 00:18 #18055 by E L
"J" numbers was created by E L
Is there a list of all the "J" numbers showing the body styles and those that have been re-bodied? Also the years associated the the J numbers