Skip to main content

Lycoming engines

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
09 Jul 2009 19:46 #13966 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic Lycoming engines
Thanks for clearing all that up, George.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• georgealbright
  • Registered
More
09 Jul 2009 19:44 #13965 by georgealbright
Replied by georgealbright on topic Lycoming Model AEF engines
Randy is right. I am the one who published the original wanted ad. Those motors were built from around 1935 to 1942,in commercial/firetruck,marine,and industrial application. I know of the existence of at least one of each of these in these 3 applications. Also used in American LaFrance firetrucks. UNFORTUNATELY,there is ABSOLUTELY no connection,or interchangable parts between the 2!!! I have had both side by side and apart! The Duesenberg brothers did all of the drawings for the J engine,and Lycoming merely cast it,as being owned by Cord. The AEF is a larger version of the model H flathead built in the late 20s and used in Auburns,and others. SORRY but 4 years of many hours of research and NOTHING is the same off of the J,and other engines/cars,other than ignition parts,etc. George Albright cell 352 843 1624 email <a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]

George Albright Cell 352 843 1624

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
07 Jul 2009 02:13 #13951 by Chris Summers
Thanks, Randy!

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
07 Jul 2009 00:57 #13950 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic Lycoming engines
Hello The lyc 8 of 420 cubic inch's is a flat head design going back to 1924 and is simply retooled for the larger displacement . Randy

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
06 Jul 2009 19:46 #13945 by Chris Summers
Al, a much-belated thank you for that information. Interesting that it uses the same bore, stroke, and displacement as the Model J engine.

I understand that the J engines produced 200 horsepower or so as they left the Lycoming factory, and were then worked over in Indianapolis to produce the usual 265 or thereabouts. I find it hard to believe that the tooling and design for the two engines, the Lycoming commercial eight and the Model J eight, were not related. Is there any evidence to that end?

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

More
11 Jun 2009 14:23 #13734 by Al Light
Replied by Al Light on topic Lycoming engines
I have an undated published list from Lycoming Manufacturing Company, Division of Cord Corporation, Williamsport, Pennsylvania that lists Passenger Car, Commercial Car, Marine, Combine, and Aircraft Engines. This list shows the "AEF" engine as an 8 Cyl. Commercial Car Engine. Listing shows bore of 3.75, stroke of 4.75, disp. of 420. and HP of 120. I have no listing of an "AEG" engine.
The above published list has a note regarding Lycoming Marine Engines that states "No greater values can be obtained than offered in LYCOMING'S 1933 Program. This note indicates the date of list publication.

The engine stroke was previously listed as 4.25 in error and is being corrected to show the stroke of 4.75. Please excuse mistake.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
10 Jun 2009 21:06 #13724 by Chris Summers
An old ad from George Albright, found through Google, says in part:

"Wanted:1928 - 1945 Lycoming straight eight (8) cylinder engine,420 C.I. model AE or AEF. Used in many trucks,commerical vehicles and fire trucks,including these 1928-1945 American LaFrance Models: Series 400,Type 400, Junior 400,Senior 400, Series 500, Type 500."

420 cubic inches? Lycoming straight eight? Built beginning in 1928? An ad from someone who sells Duesenberg parts and similar-to-Duesenberg parts? I'd like to know more about the geneology of these engines...

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

• Bicknell
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
10 Jun 2009 18:48 #13723 by Bicknell
Lycoming engines was created by Bicknell
Can anyone tell me what a Lycoming AEF or AEG engine is? Industrial, marine?
Bill