Skip to main content

Duesenberg engine on Ebay

• West Peterson
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
06 Feb 2009 12:41 #12661 by West Peterson
Replied by West Peterson on topic Duesenberg engine on Ebay
I like the A's too. Very well engineered. And they're actually pretty good looking compared to most other cars of the same years. Keep it in perspective.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2009 01:58 #12612 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Duesenberg engine on Ebay
The model A is a function of it's era. Collector interest is higher on the 30s vehicles for a number of reasons. That said, I do like the Model A Duesenberg quite a bit relative to other cars of the same era.

• Visitor
01 Feb 2009 23:53 #12611 by
Replied by on topic Model A
Didn't the Model A Duesy have a lot of very modern engineering feats. over head cam, hydraulic brakes?etc. They were not the most beautiful, but they were very well engineered and built. they only built about 500. and only a small handful still exist today. Which makes them very worthy of dicussion. They were running Charlotte N.C. at 125 miles per hour in 1925, with I believe with a very small cubic inch engine and up into the seven thousand rev per minute. So they were quite remarkable. You should read the book Wall Smacker by Peter DeApaolo
Ken Clark

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
01 Feb 2009 23:44 #12610 by Mike Dube
Replied by Mike Dube on topic Duesenberg engine on Ebay
Keep in mind that the A was Fred & Augies car; had nothing to do with E.L. They really were not interested in street cars as anything more than a way to support the racing.

Agreed that most As & Xs don't have the panache of the J's, the notable exceptions I can think of being Peter Heydon's speedster and Shawn Miller's Fleetwood Coupe. Frankly, the restored chassis Eric Killorin was driving around a few years ago, may be the way these cars are best appreciated.

Mike
8-100A

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
01 Feb 2009 23:26 #12609 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic Duesenberg engine on Ebay

mikespeed35 wrote: One guy told me if I bought one I would never sell it. I said why, because they drive so good? He said no, because no one would want to buy it. Most are not very good designs, pretty boxy looking.

A member once asked me why I focused on Js and not the other Duesenbergs. I replied that I didn't think As were interesting. I still don't. Great engineering, but not the tour de force the later cars were, and fewer of the great stories associated with Js.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• Joel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
01 Feb 2009 19:22 #12607 by Joel
Replied by Joel on topic Duesenberg engine on Ebay
I see that they changed the title of the auction now, so that it does specify model A.

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe
[img

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
01 Feb 2009 04:18 #12603 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Duesenberg engine on Ebay
I like the way they have a chain across the valve cover hold down bolts. Do you think they are lifting it that way? Don't think that would do it much good. I think you could come close to buying a complete car for that money. I thought of buying a A once and ask a few people about it. One guy told me if I bought one I would never sell it. I said why, because they drive so good? He said no, because no one would want to buy it. Most are not very good designs, pretty boxy looking.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

More
31 Jan 2009 17:26 #12599 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Duesenberg engine on Ebay
[url:1ca3pa7c]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm38.l1313%26_nkw%3D310119037572%2B%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&item=310119037572&viewitem=[/url:1ca3pa7c]

Model A. Price seems a bit high, but maybe I'm not up on Model A pricing.

• Joel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
29 Jan 2009 23:15 #12581 by Joel
Duesenberg engine on Ebay was created by Joel
Item # 310119037572

Dosen't look like a J, so what is it, an A?

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe
[img