Skip to main content

Billings Bodies

More
17 Aug 2006 16:58 #5239 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Billings Bodies
Ted Billings first ran a marina on Lake Quinsigamond in Shrewsbury Massachusetts in the early 50s and collected and restored prewar cars as a hobby. Later the hobby became a full time business and the marina closed. In the 1970s Ted constructed 8 to 10 Derham Tourester bodies. All of these cars had original J engines, most had original chassis, and a couple had "other" rear ends and transmissions. Almost all are indistinguishable from an original car unless you are an extreme expert.

Ted owned a number of auburn speedsters, a 540k Special Roadster (which he paid $6500.00 for and returned to the seller because it leaked too much gas and oil on the garage floor!). He also owned a laGrande Dual Cowl which was one of 3 (I believe) to have the factory 2 carb blower engine. The car came out of south american where it had been used as a race car. That car was sold around 78/79 and I've always wondered where it went.

Ted died in the early 80s but the restoration shop is still there and run by Byard Libby. There is currently one duesenberg in the shop as well as two Issota Franchinis, a Packard V12 Dual Cowl and a bunch of other neat stuff.

A.J.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
18 Jul 2006 00:19 #5085 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic Billings Bodies
Billings of Mass installed replica derham tourster on chassis whos bodies were built by Amesly of Pa . Randy

• jrbartlett
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
17 Jul 2006 13:56 #5084 by jrbartlett
Billings Bodies was created by jrbartlett
I see references to bodies by Billings from the '70s, and am curious about who this was, and where he was located. Or is he still around? How many Duesenberg bodies did he build? Where they all Toursters?