Skip to main content

Ferrari Connection?

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
28 Sep 2007 14:19 #8189 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Ferrari Connection?
This is great article for the Newsletter. (The Forum is [i:2zp3iizt]way[/i:2zp3iizt] faster, but the Newsletter is still more widely read. Sorry, Bill! :-)) And, no problem with uploading photos --- just e-mail the text and the photo to me as an attachment. Or send text and a print by mail. (All addresses on the inside front cover of the Newsletter.)

Here's a great idea --- do BOTH! Then [i:2zp3iizt]everybody[/i:2zp3iizt] can enjoy it.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bill powell
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
28 Sep 2007 00:37 #8174 by bill powell
Replied by bill powell on topic Ferrari Connection?
I think you will find that it is a brown-lipe transmission. Adding the E makes a difference.

• ameikle
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
27 Sep 2007 19:22 #8169 by ameikle
Replied by ameikle on topic Duesenberg and Ferrari
I think I can shed some light on this. One of the Duesenberg Indy race cars built in 1924 was re-engined with a Clemmens engine, sold to Count Carlo Trossi, and shipped to Europe. Count Carlo Trossi was a winning race driver, and was at the time the manager of the Scuderia Ferrari racing team founded by Enzo Ferrari (which eventually became the Ferrari car building enterprise). They mostly ran Alfa Romeo's. Enzo had previously managed the Alfa Romeo factory racing team. The car was later sold to Jack Duller who raced it extensively at Brooklands in England in the '30's. It is now owned by the Brooklands Trust who want to get it back into drivable condition again. I am trying to help source a Brown-Lip transmission which is missing from this car, as well as some engine parts. I can share photos of this car and would attach one here, if I can figure out the technology. I would be grateful to receive any information on the Brown-Lip transmission Cheers, Andrew

• mhanson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
04 Jan 2006 03:33 #4190 by mhanson
Replied by mhanson on topic Ferrari Connection?
I have a couple different books that reference how Ferrari was involved in a Duesenberg at Indy, pretty sure it was 1928. A lot of my references are in storage, so I can't check directly.

I'd love to find out what the current disposition is of that car, if the chassis still exists, and if there are any contemporary photos.

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
04 Jan 2006 00:12 #4189 by Mike Dube
Replied by Mike Dube on topic Ferrari Connection?
I hadn't heard this before, but I wouldn't doubt it. Mr. Ferrari certainly had a lot of experience with straight eights while at Alfa. I know that the first whole car Ferrari built had a straight eight made from two 750cc 4 cyl Fiat engines. I think it was the two cylinders and heads on a common crankcase. This car was built around 1940, and was called the Vettura 815 (8 cyl/1.5 liters) as Ferrari was still tied contractually to Alfa Romeo. It was a beautiful little car from the pictures I've seen, and I think it survived.

Mike
8-100A

• mhanson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
26 Dec 2005 00:30 #4161 by mhanson
Ferrari Connection? was created by mhanson
I've read that Ferrari ran a Duesenberg at Indy in the late '20's, I think 1928 or 1929. I've been trying for quite some time to find a picture of this car, as it's unique as the only American Marque (that I know of) that was in Scuderia Ferrari.

I hope somebody here can help. I've tried contacting the archives at IMS but no response as yet.