Cord 810/812 front spring mounting

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
More
11 Jan 2005 22:32 #2700 by Josh Malks
Josh Malks replied the topic:
Auburn changed vendors regularly, probably when vendor #1 would no longer extend credit :(

Since there do not appear to be any discernable differences in the front spring on cars assembled after January 1937, the new vendor apparently supplied springs to the same specs as the earlier one did.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cbs
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Jan 2005 23:03 #2701 by cbs
cbs replied the topic:
Have reexamined spring on car in question: 7 leaves were visible easily using flashlight, on one knee, in cold garage. After getting on back & scraping off thick layers of gook (decades of trans. grease thickened to viscosity of heavy tar) have found thin tapered ends as Josh describes for 3 more leaves. Additional leaves probable but unable to verify because car is fully assembled. Don't want to disassemble car to count them at this date. 14 sounds pretty good to me. Balinwire, how long are the upper springs...they got to be less than 12"?

• Josh Malks
More
11 Jan 2005 23:20 #2702 by Josh Malks
See, and you thought that the Cord's leaky transmission was a defect. Actually, its Auburn's patented front spring lubricating system!

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

• balinwire
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
12 Jan 2005 02:41 #2703 by balinwire
balinwire replied the topic: ? spring data ?
This ain?t gospel, but I went and measured the thickness of what I believe is a very finely manufactured original spring. On first glance the spring leafs all look the same thickness but the vary enough to measure with a ruler. This arrangement seems to be an early form of progressive suspension.

The two bottom, #14 and #13 are strong bottom leaves that are appx. 36 ?? in length. They are ? in. thick. The very bottom one #14, counting from the smallest spring to the largest, has a round hole 1? ? in in. diameter for rods and is cut square at the ends.

#13 is the same length and thickness as #14 with square ends as well but with a 1? ? in. hole that looks somewhat like a keyhole?

#12 is 33 1/2? long and finely tapered at the ends. 3/16 thick

#11 is 33? and tapered, 3/16?

#10, 32? tapered, 3/16?

#9, 31? tapered, 3/16?

#8, 30? tapered, 3/16?

#7, 20? square cut, ? in thick with retainer bands

#6, 19? square cut 3/16?

#5, 17? tapered 3/16?

#4, 16 1/2 tapered 3/16?

#3, 15 3.4? tapered 3/16?

#2, 14? tapered 3/16?

#1, 12 ?? tapered 3/16?

These are approximate dimensions as the spring is assembled with an arch. The 3/16 in? taper is in thickness as well as width.

The problem I have on my new spring installation is that when the spring is compressed under load and the spring saddle it torqued down to hold the spring in place.

As soon as load is removed from spring, such as jacking the car up, the bolt?s are under more stress causing the frame to bend and crack at the bolt mounts.

My temporary solution is not to over tighten the bolts. The weight of the car holds the spring in place. The spring pin penetrates the frame center and cannot slide out.

• Josh Malks
More
12 Jan 2005 04:57 #2704 by Josh Malks
Balin' is right, I think, about the the two bottom spring leaves being thicker than all the others.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

• cbs
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Jan 2005 00:21 #2707 by cbs
cbs replied the topic:
Will print and file with service bulletins for future ref.

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds