Skip to main content

Cord V-8 oiling

• auburnandyscar
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
01 May 2016 02:33 #31033 by auburnandyscar
Replied by auburnandyscar on topic Re: Cord V-8 oiling
Thank you all for the ideas and suggestions. I will update you all here as the project progresses.

Check out my build at:
www.1932auburnsedan.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
27 Apr 2016 15:40 #31016 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Re: Cord V-8 oiling
Sounds like a nice idea. But what are you planning to do with the distributor? Both the oil pump and the distributor are driven off the cam gear. If the distributor is not going to be driven maybe you can install a small electric motor in the mt distributor cap and drive the original oil pump that way. You might need to change how the gear is connected to the cam but machining off the gear teeth is a simple idea or fba a different drive shaft from the cap to the oil pump. then you can feed power to the hidden drive motor by running power thru the coil wire.

• Pat Leahy
  • Registered
More
26 Apr 2016 12:25 #31009 by Pat Leahy
Replied by Pat Leahy on topic Re: Cord V-8 oiling
I would suggest that maybe you should replace the original oil pump in the pan with an inline electric fuel pump. I would make an 3/16" plate adapter with a 5/16" barb fitting that would attach where the original oil pump mounts. I would install the pump in the pan and possible wire it through the oil level sender location. I have built an adapter like this to test an engine that I have rebuilt by putting the original oil pump in a 5 gallon bucket of oil, and I use an 1/2" electric drill to run the pump. When connected up, I can see the oil coming out of the main and rod bearings as well as all the camshaft assembly. I found this quite useful in determining any excess tolerances in the drive train. You have to have a big pan to catch the oil also when the pan is off.
Mike's suggestion is also a good one to remotely mount a pump. I have three engines with this coversion.

Pat Leahy

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
26 Apr 2016 04:00 #31008 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Re: Cord V-8 oiling
Hi Andy, I posted instructions on how to make a Cord 810-12 engine into a full flowing filter system. I should be under Cord 810-12 somewhere. Maybe this would help. If you can't
find it let me know and I will bring a copy Thur. and give it to Jon Bill. Not my instruction mind you but Lee Richardson's.
Cordially Mike

Mike Huffman

• auburnandyscar
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
26 Apr 2016 02:21 #31006 by auburnandyscar
Cord V-8 oiling was created by auburnandyscar
I am looking for a drawing that shows the oil flow through the galleries, or if you know where there is a good external oil port for a V8 cord engine, it would be appreciated.
we have a display engine in the Engineering Gallery (Not the Mark Tomei engine) that we are hoping to make so that as the engine turns over, visitors can see the internals move.
in order to make it easy for a person to cycle this, I feel that a type of oil pump will be of great benefit. I can mount a small electric pump out of sight in the stand's base, and use the stock oil pan to store/recover any lubricant.
If one of you could identify a good port on the block, I would be grateful. Thanks!

Check out my build at:
www.1932auburnsedan.com