Skip to main content

Cord Wheel

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
08 Jul 2015 18:49 #29852 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Re: Cord Wheel
Hi,

I am glad to have seen this thread. I had been under the impression that all 7 of my wheels (2 cracked) were light-duty. No I know that at least two of them are HD. The others are not immediately accessible for examination.

Thank yo for the clear explanations and clear photographs.

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
23 Jun 2015 16:23 #29808 by Mark Tomei
Replied by Mark Tomei on topic Re: Cord Wheel
Hi:

Just to be clear, your wheel is the heavy duty version. Here is another picture of a heavy duty wheel for comparison purposes. You'll notice the smooth center area versus the embossed ring.

M
Attachments:

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
23 Jun 2015 16:11 #29807 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Re: Cord Wheel
Mark, Thanks for the great pic of what a heavy duty wheel looks like. I have 6 wheels and so far 4 of them are the heavy duty wheels. I believe the other 2 that are still on the rear of the car are heavy duty also. A picture is worth a thousand words. Its been very difficult for me to "see" what you can posted about wheels in the past. So far none of my wheels have any welds on them.

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
23 Jun 2015 06:49 #29805 by Mark Tomei
Replied by Mark Tomei on topic Re: Cord Wheel
Hello:

Yes, that is a heavy duty wheel . I am posting a light duty wheel for comparison purposes. Yours appears to be undamaged while the wheel shown in my pic is virtually unusable. Notice the welds on the wheel center. Closer inspection of those same welds would reveal radial cracks on either side of the repair welding bead.

I always thought it was quite ironic that the wheel that had the stamped/embossed reinforcement ring would in fact be the "light duty" version and the one that almost always failed.

Mark
Attachments:

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
18 Jun 2015 17:33 #29778 by 1748 S
Cord Wheel was created by 1748 S
Is this a heavy duty wheel?

Attachment not found

Attachments: