Timing Chain & Gears

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
05 Jun 2015 16:39 #29701 by 1748 S
Timing Chain & Gears was created by 1748 S
A few days ago I received my cam and crank gear from the Felix @ pickle factory. Felix told me the crank gear was new and the cam gear showed very slight wear. I sure was surprised looking both of them over. The cam gear was worn but.. It was very difficult to see much of it. Bonus is this was a Whitney cam gear so it was what came in the engine. I was very happy. Now the crank gear truly was new having never been installed on a crank. I checked it closely for a name but none found. I recall Felix saying something about JK Howell making up these gears many years ago so might just be one of those. I'm still very happy with the parts.
I test fitted the gears and my old well worn chain. Sadly the chain is shot. I have found 2 locations that can make up a chain and one place that has a chain ready to go. They are both Ramsey chains. Both locations are very close to me. The place that will make a chain is called Applied Technologies in commerce Ca. The charge about $75.00 per ft of the chain and a complete chain is around $197.00 with tax applied. Its a 3 week wait for them to "build" a chain. I'm thinking about buying a length of chain and building my own. Surely they can sell me any length chain with a link. We will see later.
Now back to Felix. I was completely happy with my dealings with him and look forwards to placing more orders with him. The quoted prices are the best I have found and I sure have done some research for the parts.
I'm still looking for a set of cam bearings too. Mine appear to be after market because they do not have any babbitt on them but they do fit tight to the cam bearing journels.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.